best feed?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edward.21

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hello
I'm new to beekeeping and i'm currently feeding 1:1 sugar water. i have got some ambrosia and some Candipolline Gold to try but i was just wondering what/how you feed your bees and why you think its best.

Thanks ED

i was just wondering what/how you feed your bees and why you think its best.

I try not to need feed them. It may not be the cheapest, but rather that way than risk sugar syrup in honey next season or filling comb unecessarily during the summer.

If I had to feed it would be either 1:1or 2:1 sugar syrup, fondant or maybe pollen substitute patties - dependent on the situation. Wet or dry sugar might be an option in an emergency, but better to avoid those if possible.

Sorry, must get these specs sorted. Thought it said breast feed I was going to volunteer.

Sorry, must get these specs sorted. Thought it said breast feed I was going to volunteer.

Bet you feel a bit of a tit now!

Ambrosiea, candipoline, sugar Hmm sounds like the start of anothe Finman diatribe! (is it winter already and I haven't noticed.)

But seriously - why are you feeding now? we need some more information before we can tell you anything

Hello
I'm new to beekeeping and i'm currently feeding 1:1 sugar water. i have got some ambrosia and some Candipolline Gold to try but i was just wondering what/how you feed your bees and why you think its best.

Thanks ED

Ed, you shouldn't need to be feeding at this point, unless there's something special going on - like someone gave you a swarm last week. Swarms want to draw comb, and feeding allows them to keep on doing it - to their (and your) advantage. Nucs aren't the same thing.
You shouldn't need to feed because the weather's pretty good and there should be plenty forage around.
And if you over-feed sugar, they will store it and restrict the queen's laying space - not a good thing at all! (That's the particular danger with nucs.) Or, if you have supers on, they will corrupt the honey with syrup and give you an unsaleable product.
So, not now, unless there's a good reason.

Syrup from white sugar is basic bee fuel (carbs) -- 1:1 (either metric or imperial) is general purpose.
Stronger syrup (or even better Ambrosia - though some iconoclasts will disagree) is ideal for laying down winter stores -- but you shouldn't be needing that just yet.
Candipolline is a pollen substitute/supplement to give the bees extra protein. They need protein for building bees, but generally get plenty from natural pollen. Normally, you'd only make sure they have extra when raising queens or if trying to build the colony in early spring before there is pollen available in your locality.

Different tools for different purposes.

You shouldn't be needing any of them in early August.

// Oh, and welcome, by the way. :welcome:

But seriously - why are you feeding now?

I cant think of a better time to feed, nectar's in short supply (witness bees trying to rob) yet theres still loads of pollen available. A good feed of sugar syrup now for any colonies in need of building up can really sort them out in terms of drawing comb and building numbers by keeping the queen laying so they can get the majority of their winter stores tghemselves when the ivy starts in a coupkle of months. Works for me here anyway.

I agree with you mbc, went round with the bee inspector today and found a couple of hives that will need feeding, plenty of pollen in them but was surprised how little stores they had, yes some will need feeding now

I agree with you mbc, went round with the bee inspector today and found a couple of hives that will need feeding, ...

Not like that here (but I am in town).

The waggle dance analysis by LASI (Sussex Uni) showed that in July/August their bees, (on the edge of Brighton), were heading into town rather than the countryside. (With the notable exception of a nature reserve ... )

Thats the problem when someone asks a question about feeding, people start to give another beekeeper a hard time saying, my dont need feeding, not round here, but not everywhere and every hive is the same why cant you just answer the question, you can tell me dont talk rubbish but some do need feeding, i will let you think about the rest of the answer.

That's why I asked why he was feedng - as we all know some just feed by rote becuase 'they were told to' - just telling the OP Abrosia/sugar/neopoline/birds custard is better isn't helping the man that much. Just the same as 'well i'm feeding mine' (or not as the case may be) isn't that constructive an answer (Unlike MBC's post and the one following which gave reasons thus could be of help)

wow, well that was fast. a little more detail i've just got two nucs and put one into a brood box and left one in a poly nuc. i'm feeding both because theres plenty of foundation to be drawn out in the brood box and the poly nuc is weaker and id like to build them up for the winter. i'm wondering if i should move the slightly weaker one into a brood or not? i'm feeding because i'd rather feed and have a colony next year than risk it. thanks

If the one in the poly nuc is a bit weak, leave them in there until they are stronger and need more room.
Feeding can be beneficial to encourage them to draw comb but if the young bees are busy wax making they will not be able to rear brood so you may slow down expansion unless you wait for plenty of bees to emerge. There is also the danger they will fill all the drawn comb with stores thus leaving no room for the queen to lay. I'd give them a few pints (1:1 sugar mix is fine) then ease off a bit to see how they go - bearing in mind of course you should ensure they have enough stores until the next inspection.
Also consider dummying the brood box down a bit until they are capable of filling it (it's a big old space to keep warm, and they do need heat for wax making

It is middle of summer and bees get feeding. Strange thing.
The honey what is in the hive, is not any more honey.

If
Feeding can be beneficial to encourage them to draw comb but if the young bees are busy wax making they will not be able to rear brood so you may slow down expansion unless you wait for plenty of bees to emerge.

is this time to draw combs? For what and with sugar?

Best time was when it was good nectar flow 2 weeks ago.

is this time to draw combs?
Best time was when it was good nectar flow 2 weeks ago.

it would have been - if the OP had his bees then - he has two new nucs and it's not winter yet with us and some of us still have a flow

If the colony is using up honey then expect a large number of bees on water duty. Therefore if they arent fetching water , they are geting enough nectar.

"The waggle dance analysis by LASI (Sussex Uni) showed that...."

they also had at least one bee foraging out at sea!!! (presumably not good at counting it's own waggles).

Latest posts

Back