Best BUDGET national cedar hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Father Fox

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
.... the maisemore 'rock bottom' versus the Thornes 'budget' version. Is there much difference in quality?
Any other budget recommendations?

Look at caddon hives. I have an old second hand hive and one of these. I am no expert but the hive seems good, service great (one piece damaged in post by courier and replaced immediately.

Buy in autumn sales if you can wait that long

I have both purchased both and I have to say I prefer Maisemore. So far on the ones purchased from M the wood has less faults and sides are nice and straight, compared to T.

The only thing I am not so keen on with M is the wooden runners which are part of their design but I think I will plane them off and replace with metal on the next ones I buy.

If you can't wait for the sales (Maisemore next month if you can get there) then Caddon are a great bet. I've had a couple from them and after two years they look great.

Poly hives are often a bit cheaper.

I have just taken delivery of a caddon hive and I have to say that the quality of the wood and the speed of delivery plus excellent price means I will definitely be buying from them again next year. my other hive was from Thornes both are nationals

The only thing I am not so keen on with M is the wooden runners which are part of their design but I think I will plane them off and replace with metal on the next ones I buy.

Agree - wooden runner awful and will not last. Rang Mxxsmxre for them to explain the configuration and they almost went ballistic when I told them what I intended to do. Glad I didn't listen. Daft idea. I planed them all off.

Last edited:
There is somebody on ebay selling some nice looking cedar hives at £125 post free.

Not a lot to choose between M and T, similar price delivered and complete with wax, frames and queen excluder. M have angled wood runners, T are plastic. If you want to upgrade to metal T's are easier to replace. T floor a little less robust than M, and supplied drawing pins for the mesh don't last long, you will need more nails or small screws. Some prefer one over the other, sometimes after getting a first example with more than average knots. Both are adequate as a starter but expect to need a few tweaks to get closer to what you actually want.

Seen fewer Caddons, they don't do an exact equivalent, including frames, wax and QE will put the delivered price above M or T. Somebody is always selling on eBay, but you have to check exactly what you're getting and you know the larger makers will answer the phone if you need them.

If you can wait for M or T sale time, or pick up at a show, you could substitute variants for a modest increase in cost, such as deeper roof, better QE, extra super etc. Big plus of the standard budget offering for a starter's first hive though is you get everything in a box, exactly the right no of frames, nothing you have to rush out for. Not so great if you're not confident assembling, but you pay a premium for that from any supplier.

Latest posts

Back