Bees Sick - what to do

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had another look at your pictures, I'd go for either AFB or a very high varroa load. I would however DEFO not be adding bees, changing frames etc. or going into the hives until you get those tested. If its AFB you will lose them all if you if you do. Its difficult to see on photos, ive added a pic of one of my many AFB infestations this year to compare.

I think there are a number of issues here. The resolution of the photos and the area of the frames photographed do not necissarily show the whole problem.
Knowing where you are in the UK would help, but in the first instance I would be calling a BHA (if you're Region/Association has them), your SBI (assuming you know their number), or you're RBI.. their contact details are here http://www.nationalbeeunit.com/public/Contacts/contacts.cfm
Also make sure you're Apiary is listed on Beebase.. it makes it easier for the RBI/SBIs to find you.
As has been said they're generally a nice bunch of people and very helpful.

Spending any money - on any of your colonies is a waste of time and money UNTIL you are tested and cleared of AFB, (and that includes new foundation)..

As if you have AFB, you might as well burn the money before spending it.

In my view, your first and ONLY priority is to identify the problem. You don't know and we cannot really diagnose from a distance..

old comb
drone brood with emerged cells backfilled with nectar.
chalk brood.
varroa

i think the suspicious cells aren't AFB but pollen.

Last edited:
old comb
drone brood with emerged cells backfilled with nectar.
chalk brood.
varroa

i think the suspicious cells aren't AFB but pollen.

I can assure you broken cell caps arent pollen!!!!

If I was looking at one of my frames and saw that there are several pointers straight away. Weak colony, smell, pepperpot brood, grainy cells, sunken cappings, broken cappings, next job would be to remove broken cell caps and see what undeneath, if a dark slime in the bottom of the cell100% AFB. Obviously we cant do several tests from a pic but I'd be concerned with ANY of the above symptoms and this pic displays most.

I can assure you broken cell caps arent pollen!!!!

If I was looking at one of my frames and saw that there are several pointers straight away. Weak colony, smell, pepperpot brood, grainy cells, sunken cappings, broken cappings, next job would be to remove broken cell caps and see what undeneath, if a dark slime in the bottom of the cell100% AFB. Obviously we cant do several tests from a pic but I'd be concerned with ANY of the above symptoms and this pic displays most.

Matchstick test with broken cell caps. Dip end of match into cell, pull slowly out. If ropey slime, then AFB - confirmed. Colour dark/greyish.. If not ropey ???

Matchstick test with broken cell caps. Dip end of match into cell, pull slowly out. If ropey slime, then AFB - confirmed. Colour dark/greyish.. If not ropey ???

IMO its not conclusive, you can get a dead bee to rope out, esp if you stir it up. You have to take off broken cap, have a look, check if its a dead bee behind it, if there is, its not AFB, if its dark slime that sits in the bottom of the cell and then it ropes out then thats AFB. I use a test kit sometimes though.

Latest posts

Back