Bees remember my smell

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Hitchiner

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
I put my suit on, rob the hive of their honey - but the bees remember my smell and sting me the next day when I do not have my suit on. Is it a good idea to spray air freshener on my suit so that the bees do not know my smell?

Unfortunately you can't fool bees like that - they have a truly phenomenal sense of smell and can detect one molecule in 'n' billion.
Which is why a new wave of inventors are using trained bees to detect explosives and drugs hidden amongst other smelly substances in an attempt to conceal them.

LJ

I put my suit on, rob the hive of their honey - but the bees remember my smell and sting me the next day when I do not have my suit on. Is it a good idea to spray air freshener on my suit so that the bees do not know my smell?

Looking at your stats you have zero hives so I'm guessing this is a theoretical question? An excessively defensive colony might attack anyone close by not just you. Or it may be related to your use of scented products eg aftershave, hair dressing etc.
You may need to adjust your style of beekeeping :)

Unfortunately you can't fool bees like that - they have a truly phenomenal sense of smell and can detect one molecule in 'n' billion.
Which is why a new wave of inventors are using trained bees to detect explosives and drugs hidden amongst other smelly substances in an attempt to conceal them.

LJ

For some reason the 'Edit' button has disappeared ...

But - just in case anyone wants to read more about the bees' sensitivity to smells:

http://www.theengineer.co.uk/milita...lop-bee-based-security-device/1008007.article

Looking at your stats you have zero hives so I'm guessing this is a theoretical question? An excessively defensive colony might attack anyone close by not just you. Or it may be related to your use of scented products eg aftershave, hair dressing etc.
You may need to adjust your style of beekeeping :)

I agree. I don't think it has anything to do with recognising your smell because you have stolen their honey, thousands of us regularly tend our hives and don't get stung while walking nearby. I used to lean on the fence around my apiary, about 1 1/2 foot away from the hive, and watch them come and go before our group arrived. Never did they show any interest in me. It may be that you have a very defensive colony, in which case - if you are not happy with that - you need to remedy the situation.

Let us know how things work out :)

Last edited:
I don't know if mine are particularly placid but I have no problems with with them. I got a clue of stings early on in the year but I can get really close to the hive no problems. I did an inspection last night and only wore a veil, just shirt sleeves and shorts. I try and be as careful as possible handling them, and they seem fairly relaxed about it.

No, but it is a good idea to wash your suit to get rid of old sting pheromones. (And help avoid spreading any bee diseases.)

And expect the bees to be a bit more 'defensive' after you have robbed them of their honey.
However, some 'personal care products' do have the capability of antagonising bees, as can an inattention to person hygiene. Bees can object to both extremes. (Me too.)

I am going to get a hive from a friend, and install it next week on my allotment. She said that her bees sting her when she is out of her suit, because they remember her smell. I want to reduce the number of times I get stung. I have three daughters, but wasps seem to only like one. They sting her, and leave the other two alone. It might be that they like the smell of some people, and don't like the smell of others.

If my bees stung me just because I was in the vicinity of the hive I would re queen or get rid of them pretty darn quick.

Not convinced at all by the 'remember my smell' line.

What happens if someone else who hasn't opened the hive goes near, don't believe they would distinguish one human from another, unless it was because of perfume etc they were wearing.

I would not give a hive to a friend of mine if the bees stung like that. You could also have problems with other allotment holders as you do have a duty of care towards them and if they get stung or the bees follow them, the committee may well ask for the bees to be removed.

No. I would find that more offensive unless you are particularly malodorous.

Just ensure you don't smell too badly, your clothes are clean, you are not wearing strong scents and if you are having trouble like that, washing your suit wouldn't hurt, but unlikely to be the problem.

I think Kaz is right. You disturb a colony and then they get defensive for a few days and will attack anything near the hive it considers a threat.

Just ensure you don't smell too badly, your clothes are clean, you are not wearing strong scents and if you are having trouble like that, washing your suit wouldn't hurt, but unlikely to be the problem. .

Apple orchard shampoo is a no no here. They seem to be very interested in heads when hair has been washed in that. Am not prepared to test my theory by using it again.

On my introduction, I was told to be careful of what you are eating or drinking too. Alcohol is a no no, as well as strong foods like garlic etc. Never tested this theory but I suppose it makes sense.

I wouldn't accept a colony stinging me as I worked alongside them either, and if you have such a colony on an allotment, expect complaints and demands you remove them soon. Be prepared to have a second site to move them to, or simply requeen.

Let us know how you go on :) Your bees should be a pleasure to be around.

The only time my own bees "remembered me" was when a hive was queenless. They also followed me - and Mrs Madasafish (who was unamused)..

A new queen eventually sorted the problem. But grumpy bees lasted for weeks after a new queen..

I can stand beside f my hives in T shirt, shorts and no veil.. Without attention or stings. That is how bees should behave - except in bad weather or thunder.. that would be stooopid.:calmdown:

Anything else in my view is either masochism or stupidity..

A new queen eventually sorted the problem. But grumpy bees lasted for weeks after a new queen..

The bee inspector said it's the brood pheromone that'll calm them down. he inspected one of mine and they were noisy, not so much grumpy, but unhappy. He spotted eggs and said they'd be quieter once they'd hatched into brood. He was right! No noise from them after a couple of days when I took some honey off.

On my introduction, I was told to be careful of what you are eating or drinking too. Alcohol is a no no, as well as strong foods like garlic etc. Never tested this theory but I suppose it makes sense.

I wouldn't accept a colony stinging me as I worked alongside them either, and if you have such a colony on an allotment, expect complaints and demands you remove them soon. Be prepared to have a second site to move them to, or simply requeen.

Let us know how you go on :) Your bees should be a pleasure to be around.

Yes, on that note, I would recommend against belching over a frame after a cheese and onion sandwich...

Have you been eating a banana before getting stung?

The bee inspector said it's the brood pheromone that'll calm them down. he inspected one of mine and they were noisy, not so much grumpy, but unhappy. He spotted eggs and said they'd be quieter once they'd hatched into brood. He was right! No noise from them after a couple of days when I took some honey off.

That sounds promising, as two of mine with 'QCs' were very tetchy and they are usually OK.

Latest posts

Back