Bees out of hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pollybell

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
It is 3pm, 6 degrees out and glorious sunshine. My 2 hives are positioned in this afternoon sun. The hives were wintered with mouse guard, oxalic treatment reasonable stores which I supplemented a couple of weeks ago with some fondant (just in case).

I have just spotted that there are a small number of bees coming and going from both of the hives. Are they just on a toilet break or is there something wrong?

Too cold to open up and take a look. But I wasn't expecting them to be out and about (albeit in small numbers) when it is this cold.

water,,,,they vibrate their muscle to bring them up to flight temperature and if necessasry to temps even higher They then make dash to collect water to dilute their honey 50/50

only problem is cold water in their crop can chilled them down below flight temperature and they don't make it home

Yes, mine have been out for water in the cold winter sunshine. There is a pond in the apiary and there was a long line of them at the water's edge in the sun.
I wonder if putting an entrance feeder with water in it might be a good thing?

Yes, mine have been out for water in the cold winter sunshine. There is a pond in the apiary and there was a long line of them at the water's edge in the sun.
I wonder if putting an entrance feeder with water in it might be a good thing?
I am sure it will not cause any harm trying, i wonder if painting the water bottle black would help the sun warm it up a bit better than a white or clear container.

And next month you will probably start seeing some orientation flights, weather permitting

Latest posts

Back