Bees on eBay - a new aproach

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I object to this!
Next could be vouchers for cats, dogs,.........etc.
Reported to E Bay and hopefully will be removed.
Taking money up front for something that may not be possible.
Can't be right surely.

Peter

Selling vouchers for bees IMO is not doing them any good as a buisness. They are asking for the money up front for something that is not yet available till next year. Maybe they should try taking a deposit as most other bee supliers do.

I contacted them and raised this question with them "why not a deposit and balance on collection" a lot can happen in 7 months they said they give a money back guarantee it would have being nice if they had supplied me with an address and land line but no so approach with caution if you are interested ask for reassurances an address or landline is a help

A money back guarantee is only good as long as they are still in business.

I do find it odd that everyone is so concerned about potential disease just because the bees are "fly by night" on ebay. Are you just as concerned about bees from Thornes, *******, Maisemore etc? Or what about those cheap bees from the local BKA?

Yes I am concerned about bees from some suppliers, and I very much doubt I'd ever consider buying from them - and that is not on cost grounds either.

Locally the nucs for new members from our BKA were all inspected by the bee inspector who found no problem, also many local association members had visits this year and all were clear. Just one association member had a case of EFB last year (or the year before?) from a collected swarm within our area. Fortunately his apiary is in a relatively isolated spot with few surrounding beeks. It didn't spread and they didn't lose any colonies to it (iirc)

'Thornes bees' are I believe inspected by a bee inspector before despatch, as for the others I don't know, but I certainly wouldn't support or believe any 'self certification/inspection' especially from an 'anon' on Ebay.

Latest posts

Back