Bees on eBay - a new aproach

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For info I mailed them on Ebay and asked who was doing the inspection and got the reply that they were, not the DI.

PH

Dogs are not just for Christmas they also make good birthday presents

Damn it I must have missed those auctions - have you got the links?

:)Paul

I wil post a link as soon as I have created the listing for a voucher which you can exchange for a drug fuel weekend, with lots of young ladies, who you can then shoot at the end with the machine gun you bought off ebay with the voucher!

The voucher will be only 99p but the P&P will be £10,000 (it gets round high ebay and paypal fees if you keep the sale price low but postage high)

For info I mailed them on Ebay and asked who was doing the inspection and got the reply that they were, not the DI.

Seeing as though a large number of long term beeks in Scotland couldn't recognise the signs of EFB and/or AFB then what chance some fly by night on Ebay? :)

None and very sad I agree.

However EFB and chilled brood are difficult to distinguish, but there is no excuse for AFB.

PH

Last edited:
Hi MM

I don't find anything on E Bay with that search. I must be doing something wrong I think.

Peter

These are being sold by the bid4bees people by the looks of it. I have no reason to think that they are anything other than genuine. I bought an item off bid4bees this year with no problems. If people are now looking at buying bees for next year, they may well want to get a colony secured now. OR buy a voucher for someone for Christmas!

Seeing as though a large number of long term beeks in Scotland couldn't recognise the signs of EFB and/or AFB then what chance some fly by night on Ebay? :)

EFB history for a particular beekeeper is far more significant than the results of a single inspection, whether by a bee inspector or anyone. If they haven't had it in the last five years, I would be confident buying. Conversely, a clean
inspection only means no symptoms are evident at that moment in time - bees mask the symptoms by chucking out the diseased larvae and it's only when they get stretched that symptoms appear.

Best to just ask "have you had EFB in the last x years". And if the answer is yes, what did you do to deal with it? Also check out BeeBase for history of the area.

I do find it odd that everyone is so concerned about potential disease just because the bees are "fly by night" on ebay. Are you just as concerned about bees from Thornes, *******, Maisemore etc? Or what about those cheap bees from the local BKA?

There is a big difference in Scotland by the way. They got complacent and got rid of inspectors. In England everyone should get inspected every 3 years I believe.

(I would love to be a fly on the wall if some green newbie quizzed Mikethebee on foulbrood).

sounds like they are just doing it for the money to me! If they are that good as breeders surely all the local beeks would pass on their contacts to newbies? and as someone else said they are only being inspected by themselves - its as much a guarentee or quality as saying the same thing when selling a car!

(this is a shorter version of my 300word rant!:) )

milkermel,
Are you objecting to someone trying to make a living and develop a business?

Selling vouchers for bees IMO is not doing them any good as a buisness. They are asking for the money up front for something that is not yet available till next year. Maybe they should try taking a deposit as most other bee supliers do.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back