Bees not taking syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustAddBees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
Hi all,

Two weeks ago my bees looked low on stores so I decided they would probably benefit from feeding. They haven't taken any in two weeks. I insulated the hive last week which appears to have greatly improved productivity although I have not opened the hive in two weeks so this is only based on observing from outside (I can check my feeder without opening hive).

Need I worry, or just trust that the bees know what they are doing?

How are others doing now that the weather has turned cooler and wet?

Sam

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Better than worrying - check them for stores!

Do the bees know it is there? Can they access it?

Are they active, out foraging actively, no signs of dead dying bees , how were they when you opened the hive last, BIAS ? Room for Queen to lay and for additional stores ?

If all above in order ...Don't worry... Be Happy :) They will take down as they need and as Oliver check them and get an update on status

Thanks BrianO, active, foraging, no dead or dying bees, plenty of room, bias at last inspection.

Yes look.... similar scenario, bees not taking in feed... foraging and flying... in the ivy and on the HB.... four frames being filled... do not seem to want the easy pickings ...as yet!!

Colony next door ... 9 liters of thymolated invert in 4 days ( greedy little girls them NZIs!)

Yeghes da

Hi, what sort of feeder is it, rapid or contact? Do you have Apiguard on?

Contact feeder, 2:1 no Apiguard. As icanhopit infers, I just thought they'd favour the easy option. Foraging strongly today. Any tips for directing them towards it?

Dribble a little down the centre of the feeder if you want to attract them to the syrup. But if they want to work for their feed, remember, they know best.

Better than worrying - check them for stores!

Do the bees know it is there? Can they access it?

agree... syrup has no smell so its possible they are unaware of it. trickle some syrup down the entrance hole of the feeder to the frames, they will follow it up... if you have a little excess on your own honey (not bought) then mixing that into the syrup can also get them going!

I have had trouble with some colonies taken syrup from Ashforth feeders even after pouring syrup down, others no problem. the ones which won't take it I put contact feeders on and the syrup was taken eagerly. Al strong so not sure why

agree... syrup has no smell so its possible they are unaware of it. trickle some syrup down the entrance hole of the feeder to the frames, they will follow it up... if you have a little excess on your own honey (not bought) then mixing that into the syrup can also get them going!

Try telling my bee's it has no smell.. I have just had to get 30 or more bee's out of my car as I had a crown board in there with dried syrup on it.. the hive is around 40 yrd's from the car.. so how did they find it through a open car window..?

Hi all,
<snip>
<snip>
Well, my experience is limited, but I'd say "Don't worry, but give them fondant anyway".
Last year, none of my hives took much sysup (I was tempted to convert to Ambrosia), but they all survived.

I've got got no idea really, but as someone once told me, they've been around for millions of years and as long as they've got a laying queen, they're probably ok.
In my case, I'm feeding 4 colonies and onother 2 (with plenty of stores) are about to be united.
3 of the 4 are on their second bucketful of syrup but the other one hardly touched theirs.
I don't know why that colony didn't guzzle their syrup, and I don't know how to give it to them without dribbling it either.
If they've made a mistake, I'll try and compensate for them by giving them fondant.
I'm told that there are people out there who only feed fondant.

Hi all,
Something for later in the season, but if syrup away from the cluster it may be too cold for them to take down.

Latest posts

Back