Bees Killed My Chicken :-(

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daj198

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I moved the queen from my hive today to complete an artificial swarm. They got VERY angry and attacked me (only got stung once, thanks to the suit), and the chickens. One chicken is dead and the other badly stung.

Firstly, is there anything you would recommend for the surviving hen?

Secondly, is this common when a queen is removed from a hive? It's the first time I've done it so have nothing to compare it to...

Thanks

I moved the queen from my hive today to complete an artificial swarm. They got VERY angry and attacked me (only got stung once, thanks to the suit), and the chickens. One chicken is dead and the other badly stung.

Firstly, is there anything you would recommend for the surviving hen?

Secondly, is this common when a queen is removed from a hive? It's the first time I've done it so have nothing to compare it to...

Thanks

Why did you remove queen........ Korma tonight?

Our bees were very tetchy yesterday. OSR is out, the weather has been terrible, and they are just grumpy. Unfortunately, once stung, you smell "bad", and then you will get set upon by bees that would normally ignore you.

Advice for the chickens: keep them well away during an inspection. 9/10 times it would be fine, 1/10 it goes wrong. Our dog comes with us to do inspections, but sits 100 yards away up the field - she knows the bees can be bad news.

Our bees were very tetchy yesterday. OSR is out, the weather has been terrible, and they are just grumpy. Unfortunately, once stung, you smell "bad", and then you will get set upon by bees that would normally ignore you.

Advice for the chickens: keep them well away during an inspection. 9/10 times it would be fine, 1/10 it goes wrong. Our dog comes with us to do inspections, but sits 100 yards away up the field - she knows the bees can be bad news.

Thanks- will definitely keep them well away in future!

Moving the queen into the new hive on the old site. Any helpful suggestions?

I trap the queen under a qe with the swept brood... the brood combs are placed above the qe in a new brood box and bees.. less queen and drones move onto brood
I then take this "new" brood box and place it with the contents of flying bees / nurse bees/ brood eggs and all... a few feet away.
The flying bees go back home to the old queen on the original stance.
The brood in the new stance get on with making a new queen as queenless.
All queen cells except for any uncapped superceedure cells are sacrificed ( usually to my chickens!)

I put some brood and stores back into the old box and give both hive a litre of syrup

This works for me.

Sorry to hear about the chuck.... saw a ewe get stung yesterday... did her eyes water ( there is a joke in there somewhere... can you make a U turn?)

not worthynot worthynot worthy

Pop surviving chook into a cardboard box lined with a towel and put a hot water bottle in it.
Syringe warm water into her, maybe a teaspoon every hour. Keep her in her dark box overnight, somewhere quiet.
A bird's metabolism is much faster than ours, getting rid of toxins fairly quickly. If she is still with you an hour after the attack she should be OK.
Make her a sweet sticky porridge for brekkie.
Best of luck

I gave mine Piriton after a similar experience and they came round very quickly.
Touch and go but all still alive.

sorry to hear about your chicken and hope the other one will survive,

When doing an AS you move the queen with the brood frame she is on, you can use a crown of thorns to trap her.

sorry to hear about your chicken and hope the other one will survive,

When doing an AS you move the queen with the brood frame she is on, you can use a crown of thorns to trap her.

Sorry, I hadn't made that clear. The queen was moved on frame.

I think the piriton's done the trick! She's a bit docile but she's opening her eyes and was standing up a minute ago.

Might try the syrup...

Poor chicken. Please keep us up to date with how she is later tonight/tomorrow.

One of my chooks ate a load of small bits of rubber after we had the builders in and was at death's door. I almost put her out of her misery as she couldn't stand or open her eyes but in the end I force fed her peas (frozen ones zapped in the microwave with a little water to defrost them) mixed up with layer's mash. Also 5 -10 ml of water at each feeding with a small syringe. She pulled though just fine and now looks the healthiest of the bunch (only four of them).

I know it's not the same problem that you have but just to say they do bounce back remarkably. I kept this one indoors inside a dog crate for a week!

I'm often worried with them scratching around in front of the hives - they take particular interest during inspections too - maybe time to get them fenced off from the danger before I suffer the same fate. Sorry that you lost one.

had mixed emotions this afternoon whilst watching some 3 day old ducklings picking off flying bees in area round water trough.

Latest posts

Back