Bees in NYC

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44Whitehall

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 (1x local and 1x AMM)
Did anyone see the BBC documentary on New York last night, and specifically the bit about rooftop hives and honey? I met Andrew (the beekeeper) on a business trip last year and had hoped to visit his hives but it didn't happen; after seeing the footage last night I am more regretful at the lost opportunity than I thought I was!

And he seems to get a decent yield (in both honey terms and in dollars per bottle).

Did anyone see the BBC documentary on New York last night, and specifically the bit about rooftop hives and honey? I met Andrew (the beekeeper) on a business trip last year and had hoped to visit his hives but it didn't happen; after seeing the footage last night I am more regretful at the lost opportunity than I thought I was!

And he seems to get a decent yield (in both honey terms and in dollars per bottle).

And what about when the roof starts to leak water? Who pays it?

Our heroes nurse hives on the capital city centre too. If you invent the more dirty environment to produce honey, what is that then?

Last edited:
Without wishing to cast doubt on a fellow beekeeper's estimate of his yields, I struggle with the assertion that anyone could reap 40 kilos per hive off the 67th floor at the Marriott NYC.

Imagine the bees carrying all those heavy shopping bags up 67 flights of stairs....although, granted, that spectacular view of Central Park makes great TV.

Without wishing to cast doubt on a fellow beekeeper's estimate of his yields, I struggle with the assertion that anyone could reap 40 kilos per hive off the 67th floor at the Marriott NYC.

Ha! And now for the rest of the story.

I met Andrew at the Union Square Farmer's Market. Wanted to see if he could use some honey. Couldn't hardly approach the guy...he was doleing out jars of honey and stuffing his pockets with cash. He took my card.

So, I started supplying him with buckets of extracted, and cases of comb honey. At first, things went well. He'd show up with a bag of cash...a big bag...and he'd leave with what he wanted. Over time, things fell apart. He couldn't pay on delivery. He couldn't fulfill his requests. Got to be a PITA.

In NYC, there are 2 bee associations. The New York City group, and the Gotham City group. They do not see eye to eye. :) In fact, the Pres. of Gotham City wanted to buy some comb honey, but didn't want any of that rubbish that Andrew sells. :)

And Andrew tells me what an ass Jim is, and Jim repeats the same about Andrew. I just chuckle to myself. Neither knows that I know the other. :) Think I'll lety on?

Of course, to sell produce at the Union Square Farmer's Market, you have to grow that produce within 250 miles of the market. I live significantly farther away than that.

Interesting story, Michael.

The super frames in the hotel hives which we saw in the documentary looked distinctly clean and lacking in propolis. A significant difference from my lot!

New York City, land area 800 km2.

Lets say, 40 x 20 km. I move my hives inside 20 km radius, just to shape up distances.

London UK, 1600 km2

Helsinki 215 km2 land area

Last edited:
Back