How much a bee makes honey II

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
We just handled the issue and the result was that a hive gets 240 kg honey.

Then I saw Canadian Honey Coulcil's calculations. Their bee makes 1.5 teaspoon honey.

But Council did not make difference, did a bee bring the honey from distance 0.5 km or 3 km. Or even 5 km.

My experience is that
- if a rape field is at the distance of 1 km, the yield will be half.

- if the rape field is 2 km away , and weather is moist (low sugar content), it will be no honey in super.

- Travelling takes time but much honey will be consumed as fuel

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A bee flyes 20 km/h. 1 km trip takes 3 minutes and another minute back. 6 minutes.

xxxxxx

When a bee goes to the distance of 3 km, traveling takes 9+9 min =about 20 minutes.

Propably the bee takes some rest minutes. And what kind of wind it has on its voyage and what temperature.

You can see that bees take last rest minutes beside the hive. They are more tired in cold weather. And working in flowers is slow.

xxxxx

5 km takes 15+15 min = over 30 minutes.
If the bee makes 10 trips, the tarvelling takes 3 hours. If foraging hours are 6 per day, half of the day goes in travelling.

xxxxxxxxxx

It has been researched what foragers do in the hive daily. They sleep there during day and rest quite much. We can imagine that if the working trip is long, a bee gets tired and it needs more rest.

xxx

We can assume what ever and imagine what ever, but these do not make calculations real. Too many factors and assumptions.

But you can see the result in honey yield. Honey in supers come in a shorth periods and those we call "flow". Bees' active period may be 5 months but honey in super comes perhaps in 3 weeks.

But finally, it does not harm what you calculate.

We have maximum 6 weeks period when surplus foraging is possible. Active period, when the colony has brood, is 15 weeks.
xxxxx

Working time in flowers compared to travelling

The more bees on field , the less nectar in flowers. How much it takes time that a bee gets it stomach full, and then back to home.

I have seen much flying that bees go out vigorously, but when it is not warm enough, they return home quickly. The balance hive tells, what they bring to home.

Last edited:
Interesting facts

But how big is the teaspoon?

Not an SI unit I recognise

Yeghes da

Generally a teaspoon in English cookery is a dash plus a tad....

new-norpro-5-piece-mini-measuring-spoons-set-s-s-tad-dash-pinch-smidgen-drop_10678863.jpeg

Teaspoon is now a problem in beekeeping?
Yesterday it was punctuation.

Teaspoon is now a problem in beekeeping?
Yesterday it was punctuation.

Tomorrow it will be spelling.

I'm sure we can all agree a teaspoon holds 5 ml and that punctuation is sadly lacking on the forum.

However, I enjoyed reading your post. Very interesting.

Thanks Finny.

But how big is the teaspoon?

depends whether it's a spoon to measure loose tea into your teapot or a spoon for stirring your tea.
As i don't take sugar and put milk in first there's no need for a means to stir my tea - and if I do, I use a pencil

depends whether it's a spoon to measure loose tea into your teapot or a spoon for stirring your tea.
As i don't take sugar and put milk in first there's no need for a means to stir my tea - and if I do, I use a pencil
Milk in first?!!! Nooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!

As this thread is now reductio ad absurdum, I feel obliged to point out that such practices will ruin the lead in your pencil.

Thanks, Finnie, for the Canadian information. Unfortunately. too many variables to use be able to use for any meaningful calculations but interesting nonetheless.

CVB

Where you need a pencil with tea is when you roll the tea bag around the pencil and the with bag string you roll and squeeze the last droplet of teajuice from bag.

My grandmother use to read tea [emoji261] in my up turned cup I could never work out how she done it until years later lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IT is said in "cooking weights and measures".
5 ml.

That's 0.005 l in the MKS system
Why muddle things with archaic things like teaspoons, tablespoons and cups let alone daft units like US gallons, quarts and gills? surprised our old colonialists fiends have not retained the such as furlongs and barleycorns..... 11/64th inch is bad enough.
They did not get to the Moon!

Off for a pint at the Pig & Firkin... St Austell Trelawney finest Cornish Ale.

Yeghes da

Latest posts

Back