Bees In Gardens And NOT The Beekeepers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This subject always gets a good response, i wonder how many of you that keep bees at home have small gardens and live in terraced houses ?

I kept bees in my garden last year, they were great, and very convenient for me, but then again they were never bad tempered. if i had one of my other colonies there i doubt the season would have run as smoothly.

I think Beebreeder has a point, and it is becoming more common for those with no experience or knowledge to end up with a full colony in their garden, as some of you say it might well be fine for a while, but is it REALLY worth the risk.

I have bees in my own garden but it is over a third of an acre and has fields on three sides and my kids are late teens, they are also my bees and I give them respect and so do the family, they will still probably get moved out as I have a local farm site that is turning out better, will probably just keep my breeder queens here and the odd nuc/ mating box. The guy says the bees are so friendly he can go round them with his mower, if installed as a nuc then thats ok this year but what about next when they get strong Oliver90owner I am going to try and make contact with him and find out his intentions, he lives and keeps most of his bees about 6 miles away

By law you are allowed to keep up to two colonies on your own property, any more then you will have to move them out of harms way,

Are you absolutely sure about this. How about if your property covers several acres?
Cazza

what about next when they get strong

So, what about it? What do you know about it except when using that litle-big word IF?

I have no idea and neither do you. That is all I have said so far and keep repeating it; don't rant without the full facts. Imagination usually exagerates things enormously. Gossip, hearsay and innuendo are great to spread rumours - and we all know of people like that. There are some on this forum .

So stop ranting and find out some FACTS because, like I have indicated, belly-aching on here will be no good IF something were seriously awry. No use afterwards, telling everybody you had complained about it on this forum because that would not cut any ice with most sensible people.

Remember the age old tenet of British law: innocent until proven guilty?

I think I may have got my point over to most reading the thread, so I will leave it now and let some of the others enquire as to the truthfulness, or otherwise, of your future comments on the subject.

RAB

Oliver90owner I am not Belly aching, I was just asking for opinons, on bees being kept in NON BEEKEEPERS gardens and I am not using rumour unless talking to the man whose garden they are in is rumour, I am going to leave this now as I have obviously stirred up some strong feelings, that I did not intend to do, all i was interested in was how the concencus felt about the subject

Last edited:
By law you are allowed to keep up to two colonies on your own property, any more then you will have to move them out of harms way.
Gillybee - what law would that be? Would you point us at the legislation?

I think he's quoting the regulations set out by some allotment societies :leaving:

The only laws reference to private gardens were bees are concerned would be the nuisance of same if spoiling the enjoyment of a neighbour using his garden :cuss:

John

Oliver90owner I am not Belly aching, I was just asking for opinons, on bees being kept in NON BEEKEEPERS gardens and I am not using rumour unless talking to the man whose garden they are in is rumour, I am going to leave this now as I have obviously stirred up some strong feelings, that I did not intend to do, all i was interested in was how the concencus felt about the subject

I am in the situation where i have adopted a hive that a professional beekeeper left unsupervised!

ok so bare with me on this one, the lady who owns the hive bought it 15 years ago from people happy to sell to someone with NO experiance (yes this is a large professional business in our area) one of their contacts was going to look after the hive and bees, he spent several years havesting queens and bees off this hive and then when it got too much just didnt bother to turn up anymore.

SO anyway I went in last year tidied up the hive being robbed by wasps and infested with Wax moth. I go back at the moment every 6 or 7 days and do checks

My point is that if you asked the person how often I go over to their property they wouldnt have the foggiest as i go during the day between milkings when they are at work. maybe inspections are happening more often then the owners realise? Maybe not, why dont you go and have a chat with the person???

Also not everyone is in the fotunate situation as you and I are that they can have their bees at home?? My dogs soon learnt about not going near the hives!!

Also what is this about no more than 2 hives on property??? now i am worried. could someone please calrify for me please.

its the thought of bees in someone elses garden and the grandchildren that scare me.

er,, with respect but did anybody force him to have them in his garden?

Seems to me a bit irresponsible of the garden owner rather than the hive owner..

Latest posts

Back