Bees flying !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffin dodger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 of my own + 2 shared
Hi All,

A few times I've noticed that on a warm and sunny afternoon several hundred bees seem to come out of the hive and just seem to be flying round and round they'll do this for around 15-20 minutes before going back in again and everything returning to normal, it looks almost as though they're about to swarm, am I seeing orientation flights from new brood or are they just out for a bit of excersise and some fresh air ?

BTW, hives a 14x12 showing good brood and stores on 8 frames, no sign of supercedure or queen cells, apart from the strange flights, no other problems.

Regards
CD

its normal orientation flights of new flying bees.

Thank you for that gentlemen not worthy not worthy My mentor's not seen that happen before which I presume is because she had an out apiary, now we have hives within 10 yards of our respective front doors, we get to see a lot more of them, even to the extent of sitting by the hives just watching the bees :D

Regards
CD

Thank you for that gentlemen not worthy not worthy My mentor's not seen that happen before which I presume is because she had an out apiary, now we have hives within 10 yards of our respective front doors, we get to see a lot more of them, even to the extent of sitting by the hives just watching the bees :D

Regards
CD

sounds like a new mentor is in order!!

Hope you have protective gear on - We used to sit and watch the bees without our suits on until we got stung during those times when they were queenless, thinking of swarming, low on stores, flow grinding to a halt or generally them feeling they needed to defend their space. Now I make sure I have my hat and veil on and am in long sleeves before going to count the bees :D

sounds like a new mentor is in order!!

I'm qute happy with my mentor, I presume that there are even more experienced beeks who still havn't seen it all, especially if you have a full time job and an out apiary thats a few miles away :)

Hope you have protective gear on - We used to sit and watch the bees without our suits on until we got stung during those times when they were queenless, thinking of swarming, low on stores, flow grinding to a halt or generally them feeling they needed to defend their space. Now I make sure I have my hat and veil on and am in long sleeves before going to count the bees :D

I dont bother with a suit if I'm just sat watching them, the bees are mongrels and so placid (well so far) even when inspecting the hives they just dont seem to care, I know I've only been keeping bees fo a few months now but so far they havn't tried stinging me yet :cool:

Regards
CD

Let us know when you get stung! We just like to say 'told you so' in the nicest possible way of course.

yep new bees alriaght happens most days with mine especially warmer days.
Are they still coming and going as much as mine. Mine are going mad still with droves of bees coming and going all day even in light rain.

yep new bees alriaght happens most days with mine especially warmer days.
Are they still coming and going as much as mine. Mine are going mad still with droves of bees coming and going all day even in light rain.

Yes, still doing it, usually in the early afternoon on good sunny days but like your's they'll fly in very light rain too.

Regards
CD

Latest posts

Back