bees flying today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what is going on??

I'm glad to see it's not just me then. I had to double check my calender yesterday and today to make sure it really is December! I've had more activity in last two days than on an average summers day and they are bring back loads and i mean LOADS of pollen??
Very worried they are going to use all of their stores as there is deninitley no nectar about so have given 2kg of syrup to each have and they are taking it down very quicky.
very confused!

14C on my sheltered thermometer in the garden.

They are doing orientation flights.:eek:

Yep mine out again, hefted the hives, they should be fine.

11.00am this morning

is it December or are we still in British summer time.seem the bees don't know. They should be tightly clustered but all hive are very active.As you can see below

13C and sunny. All hives flying. But only a few per hive.. maybe 50?

Snow has all melted but frosts tomorrow so just cleansing...

is it December or are we still in British summer time.seem the bees don't know. They should be tightly clustered but all hive are very active.As you can see below

Blimey! They are active.
Just crawled out from my sick bed (nothing serious, only girlflue) to look at mine. They're out but nothing like Stubee's.

Cazza

Just how unusual is this? Mine are happily fetching back pollen, as others have said

Is this something (like serious snow) that actually happens every 3 or 4 years but everyone forgets? Or is this truly exceptional for bees to be foraging now?

Is this something (like serious snow) that actually happens every 3 or 4 years but everyone forgets? Or is this truly exceptional for bees to be foraging now?

Exceptional for some parts of the country maybe,but not for all.

Exceptional for some parts of the country maybe,but not for all.

Last year at this time it was -15 to -18C at night and still freezing in the daytime so no bees to be seen.

(Ditto January 2011).

In fact it was only in February I saw any real activity...

Or is this truly exceptional for bees to be foraging now?

Nothing 'speshul' these days, it seems.

Ten years or more ago and it may have been. I was surprised to see bees taking in pollen three years ago at this time of the year. Solstice, 23rd and Christmas Eve had bees flying strongly and taking in pollen on the last two of those days, at least. So, now, twice in 4 years, it seems fairly common for Lincolnshire!

RAB

Thought I'd give the MB poly hive a hand to clear out their dead. Seemed to be such a struggle through the mouse guard holes so I replaced it with the original entrance reducer. Got a sting on my bum as a thank you.

My Bees out again today no pollen coming in :eek: hope this is ok, some dead
ones on the landing board though

One hive had a few coming and going, maybe say 20 if that. The other, and what I reckon is a stronger hive, had a lot out and about with a few bringing back pollen. Nothing coming from the nuc but, when I knocked on it they had a grumble:) Mostly it was poo runs I reckon.

All my hives were out and about, undertakers having a clear out and some pollen being collected!!. The camelia is in flower:eek: Winter? what winter? it was +14C today in the shade. Timing OA treatment is going to be interesting to say the least.

Mass orientation on a couple of hives, most of the others active. Checked the sun an hour late...one field hedge to lower. Pollen I'd guess is gorse here too but small loads. Rescued one who landed exhausted by the back door. Mini sugar bag job (ta coffee shop) and off home....

My Bees out again today. in shrewsbury.its nice and warm here.

13 Degrees C in South London and my hives are bringing in a bright yellow/orange coloured pollen. Wonder want they are working on?

Latest posts

Back