Bees clustering under mesh floor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liam C Ryan

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has anybody any idea why some bees are clustering under the floor of one of my hives . The hive was left with one queen cell about 3 weeks ago but I have not seen a queen or eggs yet. I checked about an hour ago and lots of bees have stayed outside the hive under the mesh floor.
Regards
Liam C

Liam,
How many bees? Are we talking hundreds? I have a dozen or so doing that and just presumed they wanted to cool down yet stay in contact with the queen!?!
Mark

Brush the bees off replace the varroa floor.

Remove the entrance block if it still in place.

Has anybody any idea why some bees are clustering under the floor of one of my hives . The hive was left with one queen cell about 3 weeks ago but I have not seen a queen or eggs yet. I checked about an hour ago and lots of bees have stayed outside the hive under the mesh floor.
Regards
Liam C

If there are a lot of bees, it is probably a cast. There could have been an emerged Queen in the hive when you left the single cell.

There are a few hundred bees under the floor for the last two nights. Will brush them off today and see what happens.

You could brush them into a Nuc box, if they start fanning it maybe a cast.

OR. They could return to the hive.

You will probably find with out putting in the varroa board they will fry straight back under the floor.

They could be just cooling down from the heat.
If it's a hot day and hot night I often see loads of bee out side of the hive.

picture.php

i find that sometimes the bees miss the entrance and gather under the mesh, place a board from the ground to under the entrance so they have to go up and into the hive usually works

Brushed bees of the mesh floor and a queen started running around on the ground ,by the time I got a small box to catch her she was flying around, landed on the landing board and after a lot of excitement with the bees she diapered into the hive. Tonight all bees are gone into the hive.

Latest posts

Back