Bees bringing in pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bees going like the clappers yesterday, with what looked like gorse pollen going in...

I reckon you could teach yourself with a half decent book.
I used to enjoy microscope work when I was a student. I'm always on the lookout for pollen courses locally, never seems to be anything.

I reckon you could teach yourself with a half decent book.
I used to enjoy microscope work when I was a student. I'm always on the lookout for pollen courses locally, never seems to be anything.

Pollen slides are easy to make Erica. Like me, at least you know your way round a microscope before you start. You are right when you say you can pick that up from a book. Forget the title, but Bob Maurer's book is good.
A course is good for teaching the bee dissection and slide making side of the syllabus.

Hi Drex and Ericha.
Essex boys must be very clever then! Yes, I probably could, but it would be nice if not everything in life was DIY. But as I said it is something for the future, plenty other beekeeping stuff to learn in the meantime.

pollen

My bees are are still a bit sleepy, Some bees flying but not many. The Gorse is in flower so hopefully they will make a start soon. Ianf. Isle of Islay.

Haven't seen my bees out flying yet anytime I've beennat the hive every week or so but when opened the hole in crownboard, a few popped their head out. Seen a few videos of bees flying here on west coast, hopefully mines won't be to far behind taking flight.

Still ice on the birdbath at 10 this morning, but those hives already getting some sun are busy already.
Walking the dog yesterday noticed that all the ornamental heathers (3 different front gardens) we passed were humming with (almost certainly my) bees. And the remarkable Veronica thing on the other side of the road is still getting traffic...

/// Didn't actually see any action on any crocus or snowdrops though ...

Last edited:
All the hazel pollen I've ever collected has been yellowish, the pocket pollen guide gives hazell as yellowish, the colour guide to pollen loads gives hazel as yellowish.
No 57 shades of Grey in sight.

I done a few Hazel pollen slides yesterday and they are yellowish in colour.

I done a few Hazel pollen slides yesterday and they are yellowish in colour.

You were right Thymallus I collected some hazel catkins yesterday left them on the dash of the truck which is now covered in flowers of sulphur yellow pollen

Only snowdrops flowering here with bees bringing in small loads of pollen. Crocus available in the next few days. Always a good 2 weeks behind here coastal north east.

I cannot think now that hazel has been ruled out what pollen my bees are bringing in. Whitish grey, our house is remote within arable fields and woods, no gardens within 1 mile. I can only assume a tree pollen but what I am at a loss to know.

Any ideas?

I cannot think now that hazel has been ruled out what pollen my bees are bringing in. Whitish grey, our house is remote within arable fields and woods, no gardens within 1 mile. I can only assume a tree pollen but what I am at a loss to know.

Any ideas?
I had a few girls coming in with greyish pollen, Elms? Ulmus spp?

Only snowdrops flowering here with bees bringing in small loads of pollen. Crocus available in the next few days. Always a good 2 weeks behind here coastal north east.

+1 for pollen

Some Elm pollen can have a grayish hue to it, but more a willowy green in general. In what context are you seeing the pollen colour, on their legs or examining dropped loads on varroa board against a white background?

Other way is to look and see what is flowering in your area, collect some put in vase and see what you can get. Microscopy can help....

Latest posts

Back