Bees and beans

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandysman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3+
Just an observation. Last month my runner beans were full of bumble bees but no honey bees at all, now the reverse is the case. Is the reason pollen or nectar do we think and why the change over?
Andy

Is it something to do with the bumblebees drill holes in the back of the flowers and then the honey bees take advantage of them.

I have noticed in the last week a dramatic drop in bumble bees round my way sad but the time of year I guess.

I have noticed in the last week a dramatic drop in bumble bees round my way sad but the time of year I guess.

The cabbage whites have dropped off in numbers now too.

Lots of peacock butterflies here. 50+ on our buddleia. Lots on hive roofs, the ground, the windows, etc

Lots of caterpillars on my sprouts, giant nicotiana,nasturtiums etc. I pick and squish the sprouts ones..

I have four cabbages in a small garden I tend to and all summer covered in cabbage white butterflies with the result of lots of eggs and a few caterpillars picked off by me but nowhere near as many as there should be. The cabbages should be eaten away to stumps by now given the interest so what eats the caterpillar’s or the eggs because something has and I want to thank them. I also spotted wasps sniffing around the cabbages could it be them?

Is it something to do with the bumblebees drill holes in the back of the flowers and then the honey bees take advantage of them.

Don't think it can be this as flowers from last month would be beans by now. Is it that they have taken them some time to find them?

Yes that makes sense farbee and as I think about it I may be mixing broad beans with runner beans.

Latest posts

Back