Bees accessing hive through WBC roof vent

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlystrung

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hi, I noticed this am that bees are entering my WBC hive through the little plastic cone shaped roof vent on either end of the roof... (see pic attached).

I'm unclear whether this is meant to be an entry route....but assume it is not!?! If not these could be robbing bees... and assume that the hive won't have assigned defending bees to this part of the hive.

I've stuck some bits of ply over the ends with super glue.

Can anybody enlighten me on either points ......

thanks, Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 35
That's probably not a good idea as the cones are there for any bees that get stuck between the lift and the hive to find their way out ... Robbing bees are not likely to be using the cones as an entry point but have you had a look inside the lifts to see why bees are using that as an entrance - have you got a crown board on the roof of the hive and is there a gaping hole in it ... if there is they may have decided that the vents are an easier route in there ... if you have a hole in the crownboard cover it with a bit of tile .. a lot of people using WBC's have a roof on top of the hive as well as the WBC roof. What's your set up ?

Hi, I noticed this am that bees are entering my WBC hive through the little plastic cone shaped roof vent on either end of the roof... (see pic attached).

I'm unclear whether this is meant to be an entry route....but assume it is not!?! If not these could be robbing bees... and assume that the hive won't have assigned defending bees to this part of the hive.

I've stuck some bits of ply over the ends with super glue.

Can anybody enlighten me on either points ......

thanks, Neil

If your hive is correctly assembled there should be no access to the colony in the inner hive via the bee escapes you mention. Have you by any chance left open any holes in your crown/feeder board?

I'd also suggest checking that the proper entrance hasn't become somehow obstructed, and ask what is inside the hive. "Wet" extracted supers are VERY attractive to robbers ...

I am curious... I have some WBC's hives where the bees can fly around inside the covers... Thoones's type OMF floor.....
Others Lee type where bees can only access the inner boxes from the outer entrance as there is a fixed cover strip as part of the floor ( converted to OMF)

Can not get images onto site as jpeg and too big ( Windoze 8 rubbish on this computer) used to work fine with XP & Vista!!!

Yeghes da

Have you by any chance left open any holes in your crown/feeder board?

Don't you mean "Have you by chance followed normal BBKA methods and left open the holes in your crown board" every beekeeper that has joined us from another Association has been taught by their trainers to leave the holes in the crown board open at all times, then find their bees die by isolation starvation or Nosema

i would advise him to cover the crown board holes and rely on bottom ventilation through the OMF

Last edited:
Don't you mean "Have you by chance followed normal BBKA methods and left open the holes in your crown board" every beekeeper that has joined us from another Association has been taught by their trainers to leave the holes in the crown board open at all times, then find their bees die by isolation starvation or Nosema

i would advise him to cover the crown board holes and rely on bottom ventilation through the OMF

A good subject for beginners blunders perhaps? :hairpull:

The inner side of each hole should be covered with gauze or mesh to stop insects getting in or out, even if the WBC is from one of the manufacturers that set a cone escape into the hole. The holes themselves should never be blocked with something solid.

If you check this pdf, which gives construction details and plans, you'll see that the holes in the two faces of the roof are to ventilate the gap between the lifts and the hive - the air in this gap can get damp, which can lead to mildew.

THANKS BJB

Interested to reference to quilt.... experimenting at moment with Alpaca wool felt placed over crown board... with a mesh over the feed hole.
May even dispense with the board completely as in my Grandfathe's day he died in 1984 aged 78.. bless him!

Note frames are fitted the proper "cold way" !!

None of the cone bee escapes have mesh behind them on any of my collection of various manufactures and ages of WBC's ( have a couple of dozen in use).

May just as well do away with the cones if they are an expensive ornament!

Also a cover slip is shown to prevent bees from accessing the area between the boxes an the lifts... but if the Thooornies OMF adaptation is uses one will not fit !!

Such are the perills of keeping bees in boxes.

The Alpaca quilts also work well as condensers ( Heat retentive and moisture controlling) in TBH and have just supplied some to a lady with Long boxes!

Yeghes da

Thanks for all the inputs - I haven't covered my cover board holes with tiles but will do so.... Seems to be some debate on whether the cones should allow bees out - are they there for ventilation and / or escape....?

Inside my WBC the bees can get down to the entrance on the front landing board so I think I'll put gauze in the cones whilst I gather any more views of the cone set up & purpose. I don't like the idea of robber bees / wasps getting into the space between the lifts and the super's / brood box....

Any more views / comments welcome,

thanks, Neil

We only have one WBC and have not had it long. The bridge inside the entrance ensures bees are channelled into the inner boxes and don't get access to the space between the inner and lift. I had assumed the escapes were just to let out bees that get between this space during inspection and if that is the case they shouldn't be blocked. I have seen bees go in that way though.

Ray

Thanks for all the inputs - I haven't covered my cover board holes with tiles but will do so.... Seems to be some debate on whether the cones should allow bees out - are they there for ventilation and / or escape....?

Inside my WBC the bees can get down to the entrance on the front landing board so I think I'll put gauze in the cones whilst I gather any more views of the cone set up & purpose. I don't like the idea of robber bees / wasps getting into the space between the lifts and the super's / brood box....

Any more views / comments welcome,

thanks, Neil

I had a wbc (sold it but only to standardise on 14 x 12). There was a piece of wood which spanned the entrance ramp inside the bottom lift and closed off the gap between the lift and the brood box. It sounds as though yours is missing.
The cone escapes should permit any bees which get between the inner boxes and the outer skin during manipulations to escape therefore no gauze inside.

Thanks for the responses, I have covered my cover board holes with tiles as suggested. I have also drilled 4 mm holes in the pieces of wood that I've put on the cones on the hive covers. That should ensure that the bees can't enter there and that the inside of the hive between the lifts and supers / brood box are ventilated. Any bees in that area can escape by going down the the normal hive entrance. regards, Neil

Any bees in that area can escape by going down the the normal hive entrance. regards, Neil

Or will die trying to fly upwards towards the light coming from the cones (their nature is to fly towards the light like most insects) and find they are unable to escape ... they probably won't look for another exit.

Latest posts

Back