Beekeeping Supplies Sales

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lea Trainer

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi all,

First year beekeeping!

When do the beekeeping supplies sales start and end?

Thanks

various
You've just missed the Maisemore's midsummer sale, both will have a sale at the end of the season, and during the National Honey show, then again around the New year. We will then be into the new season with sales on during the Welsh and English conventions

Just curious. Living in the north of Scotland so far most of the sales have needed attendance in person either at the national show or at a branch in England (e.g. Thornes). In the past have any of the companies posted out thirds or are they in person only?

I see Patrick is looking to mop up any customers before the NHS at the end of the month by having his "Month Long Sale" :D

Just curious. Living in the north of Scotland so far most of the sales have needed attendance in person either at the national show or at a branch in England (e.g. Thornes). In the past have any of the companies posted out thirds or are they in person only?
I can sympathise. No matter how small the item I want to order from Thornes I pay £20 in postage. Absolutely ridiculous and they won't send through the royal mail.

Anyway they have had sales in the past of seconds or thirds. I wouldn't recommend it for crates because a lot of the wood is warped. For example I got a pack of 10 national supers, about half of the flat sides were bowed. Planing would have made them too small to take frames and still leave a bee space. They are however okay for ekes, or if you don't mind faffing about. I suspect the wood is fine when it's cut but certain bits are of a quality that start to move once it's dressed.

The 2nd frames were fine, just a few knotty ends and top bars. No loss really, into the kindlers basket.

Also a bit of advice comes to mind and I'm not sure what others' experiences are with it. Allegedly a national is a national is a national. But I have found a few millimeters difference between suppliers and enough to cause water to seep into hives. So maybe also not a good idea to chop and change between suppliers especially if buying seconds.

Anyway they have had sales in the past of seconds or thirds. I wouldn't recommend it for crates because a lot of the wood is warped
I've never had issues with warped wood on second quality boxes - and |I have quite a few

I know it’s not ideal but you can usually collect from Thornes in Fife as well.

Hi thanks all for replies. I'll check with Fife if they do that. The sale bumph has never listed them since I started looking but maybe they will if I phone.
I know it’s not ideal but you can usually collect from Thornes in Fife as well.

Hi thanks all for replies. I'll check with Fife if they do that. The sale bumph has never listed them since I started looking but maybe they will if I phone.
I know plenty of beekeepers who go to the Fife branch to collect in person when there’s a sale on. Definitely worth asking.

Hi all

Seems Thornes have a flash sale on, large range of goodies, ends Monday.

Simon

Latest posts

Back