Beekeeping Suits

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very happy with my thrones sale specials. £35

I have no idea what make my (cheap) jacket and veil is but I have noticed that the veil is a little harder to see through than other veils I've tried.
So I would suggest that visibility through the veil is another factor you should consider when looking at suits. It makes quite a difference if you are looking for eggs.

I bought two from simonthebeekeeper. The zips broke both times.

I got one from beeproofsuits £50 and its great!

Sherriff : good but most expensive, claim better vision through veil.

BBwear : good, I prefer the light-weight fabric, it is a little cooler to wear and easier to get on and off than the poly cotton version.

Swienty good and much cheaper, round veil only, white or sand colour only.

Bee Basic: light-weight version good and 'astro' veil very good design - low price.

Mann Lake : Vented suit the coolest to wear and never been stung through it because it is thicker triple mesh (have been stung through all others). The veil provides good vision but is too close to the face and becomes covered with bees.

Whatever suit you choose, you will be too hot in it and make sure it is very loose fitting as this reduces stings. Bees will attack any weak point like hands and wrists and socks etc. I have some that go down my muck boots - I wish suits had zip-on sting proof boots!
Best of all is to get calm bees then you may be able to wear just a veil and shorts / t shirt.

Last edited:
Sherriff : good but most expensive, claim better vision through veil.

BBwear : good, I prefer the light-weight fabric, it is a little cooler to wear and easier to get on and off than the poly cotton version.

Swienty good and much cheaper, round veil only, white or sand colour only.

Bee Basic: light-weight version good and 'astro' veil very good design - low price.

Mann Lake : Vented suit the coolest to wear and never been stung through it because it is thicker triple mesh (have been stung through all others). The veil provides good vision but is too close to the face and becomes covered with bees.

Whatever suit you choose, you will be too hot in it and make sure it is very loose fitting as this reduces stings. Bees will attack any weak point like hands and wrists and socks etc. I have some that go down my muck boots - I wish suits had zip-on sting proof boots!
Best of all is to get calm bees then you may be able to wear just a veil and shorts / t shirt.
I wear a pair of water proof trousers with press stud fasteners that hold the bottoms tightly around the ankle of my wellies, they are a tad warm in summer but it is better than getting stung.

I wear a pair of water proof trousers with press stud fasteners that hold the bottoms tightly around the ankle of my wellies, they are a tad warm in summer but it is better than getting stung.

You will remember my debacle. I got a bit cocky and just wore my jacket and veil with tracksuit bottoms. Got stung right in the joint of my knee. I will take sweating a bit more over that pain anyday!!!

You will remember my debacle. I got a bit cocky and just wore my jacket and veil with tracksuit bottoms. Got stung right in the joint of my knee. I will take sweating a bit more over that pain anyday!!!
:iagree: you can sharp jump in the shower and get changed, but a sting is irritable till it decides to wear of on its own accord..

my first suit was bought on a very tight budget and came from Simon The Beekeeper, I have to say, I always had issues with the zip and after continually finding uninvited guests inside with me and in the process of grabbing them ripping the mesh (not a good idea when surrounded by angry bees) I bought a replacement hood from them, new hood sewn on I thought I was okay as I had carried out inspections with no issues, until getting multiple stings on my face head and neck! the zips were done up properly but on checking afterwards I was able to find the gap between the Velcro and through the overlapping zips that they bees had found (clever girls) after a short while of adding a strip of Duct tape to keep them out I bought myself a suit from Maisemore, it was in the sale so I didn't hold a great deal of confidence but I have to say its been great, no face invasions and the mesh seems much stronger.

I had no hesitation in getting a BBWear suit with the fencing style hood, after putting up with bees finding their way into Thornes all-in-one white flimsy occasional suits, which are okay for exactly what they say, occasional use or cutting grass around the hives!
I've skipped changing from shoes into wellies a few times, with bees stinging my ankles or crawling up my leg, I get worried when they go past the knee!

As a Newbie this is a nice thread to learn about everyones experiences. I just got got a simons bee keeper one and test fitted today and all appears great but then i would not know yet whats great and whats not. Im a little nervous about a 1st encounter with our friends and i hope the suit doesn't disappoint and provides protection ? but as i know in many circumstances you do get what you pay for and i will be very cautious on first going to a hive.

Make sure that the gloves/gauntlets go over the sleeves with no skin or gaps where the bees can crawl in. Likewise make sure that the veil is away from your face and trousers are tucked into wellies (NOT shoes/boots).
Lastly ensure that all zips are done up fully and covered with velcro where applicable, from experience it's unpleasant having a bee on the inside of the hood when there are hundreds if not thousands outside!
Hope it goes well, it's addictive :)
It may be an idea to take an antihistamine before going to the hive too, ask a pharmacist for advice (I'm still a medical student and can't give medical advice, yet).

my first suit was bought on a very tight budget and came from Simon The Beekeeper, I have to say, I always had issues with the zip and after continually finding uninvited guests inside with me and in the process of grabbing them ripping the mesh (not a good idea when surrounded by angry bees) I bought a replacement hood from them, new hood sewn on I thought I was okay as I had carried out inspections with no issues, until getting multiple stings on my face head and neck! the zips were done up properly but on checking afterwards I was able to find the gap between the Velcro and through the overlapping zips that they bees had found (clever girls) after a short while of adding a strip of Duct tape to keep them out I bought myself a suit from Maisemore, it was in the sale so I didn't hold a great deal of confidence but I have to say its been great, no face invasions and the mesh seems much stronger.

You must have been unlucky enough to get a substandard suit that slipped through quality control. My overlapping zips. WHEN DONE UP CORRECTLY are impenetrable to bees and when the velcro flap is closed as well there isn't a bee on this earth that could enter via that route.
A friend of mine received a suit with some poor sewing. When he complained after unwrapping a replacement arrived next day. No quibbles!
As to ripping the mesh, wouldn't it have been simpler to walk calmly away to a safe distance and let your guest out normally? Panic is never a suitable response in beekeeping. Even if the bee stung you it would only do it once :(

As a Newbie this is a nice thread to learn about everyones experiences. I just got got a simons bee keeper one and test fitted today and all appears great but then i would not know yet whats great and whats not. Im a little nervous about a 1st encounter with our friends and i hope the suit doesn't disappoint and provides protection ? but as i know in many circumstances you do get what you pay for and i will be very cautious on first going to a hive.

You'll be fine. Practice closing the zips in front of a mirror until you are confident you could do it eyes closed. Make sure the zips are FULLY at the end of their travel and overlap correctly.
Ankles are often a vulnerable point so wellingtons or rigger boots are advisable tuck trousers legs in. (bees normally crawl upwards)
If you use nitrile or marigold gloves it's a good idea to get some wrist gauntlets to cover a potential gap between gloves and sleeves.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beekeeper...288078?hash=item3f4f2cfd0e:g:OTIAAOSwHnFVir4-
When you gain confidence and move calmly and smoothly the bees will normally follow suit and you can enjoy your beekeeping.

Last edited:
You'll be fine. Practice closing the zips in front of a mirror until you are confident you could do it eyes closed. Make sure the zips are FULLY at the end of their travel and overlap correctly.
Ankles are often a vulnerable point so wellingtons or rigger boots are advisable tuck trousers legs in. (bees normally crawl upwards)
If you use nitrile or marigold gloves it's a good idea to get some wrist gauntlets to cover a potential gap between gloves and sleeves.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beekeeper...288078?hash=item3f4f2cfd0e:g:OTIAAOSwHnFVir4-
When you gain confidence and move calmly and smoothly the bees will normally follow suit and you can enjoy your beekeeping.

Thanks for the response. Im going to get some of the leather gloves from Simonthebee the supple white cowhide with a full thick and long cotton gauntlet.

just a question, can bees sting through a suit/ is their sting long enough to penetrate as the suit feels very nice and lightweight and i was just wondering....

thanks

Latest posts

Back