Beekeeping Suits

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masimcox

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

My wife and I started beekeeping last year and have made it to the end of the season with a hive and a nuc, both which seem to be doing ok so far.

We bought our suits last year and didn't go for a top end suit because our initial outlay was spiralling!!! Now we have a modicum of equipment and spares we would like to invest in a couple of decent suits. The reason for the change is that the collar fastening on our suits is not great and we now tape them up because we had several bees get inside the head veil.

So the question is, which suits have you found to be good? What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance as always.

Mark

I bought one of these http://www.simonthebeekeeper.co.uk/...sic-suit-with-round-veil-and-gloves-77-detail last season. It is very cheap, but does the job fine. I like the veil as it lets lots of air through and is not so hot as a fencing type veil. I get hot beekeeping so tend not to wear much underneath, but I think if nervous of stings a long sleeved tee shirt and trousers would not go amiss. At this price they are almost disposable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

You get what you pay for to some degree.
Type of veil can limit your supplier. Round or fencing type.
I have a sherriff suit and it's great, needs a new veil now but it's good.
I have simonthebeekeeper stuff too also good, at those prices you can buy a new one each season.
just had a BB wear suit for crimbo I'll let you know. Sherriff sizes suit my shape more

Last edited:
The reason for the change is that the collar fastening on our suits is not great and we now tape them up because we had several bees get inside the head veil.

Slightly Ot but worth mentioning - I use a rolled up bit of sponge of a kitchen scourer underneath the velcro of my suit. It fills up any gaps and also stops the zips opening during an inspection.

As for suits, I use a Simon the Beekeeper suit which works fine for me, though I do like to wear an additional layer underneath to stop any sneaky little stings through the fabric.

Have a word with your local association - through ours we benefit from 20% discount when buying from BB Wear, a suit I'm happy to recommend

Hi all,

My wife and I started beekeeping last year and have made it to the end of the season with a hive and a nuc, both which seem to be doing ok so far.

We bought our suits last year and didn't go for a top end suit because our initial outlay was spiralling!!! Now we have a modicum of equipment and spares we would like to invest in a couple of decent suits. The reason for the change is that the collar fastening on our suits is not great and we now tape them up because we had several bees get inside the head veil.

So the question is, which suits have you found to be good? What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance as always.

Mark

Don't know which suit you bought but my Simon the Beekeeper suits have overlapping zip ends plus a velcro flap. Spare veils readily available for virtually peanuts.
The use of a convenient mirror when donning the suit can help but with practice and remembering which side of the zip to do up first bees getting in is not a problem.

Type of veil can limit your supplier. Round or fencing type.

I have a couple of BBwear suits - its handy to have a spare so one can be in the wash while another is in use.
I prefer the fencing type veil as its easy to put through the washer. The ring veils I have had in the past always seem to come out deformed.

I have a couple of BBwear suits - its handy to have a spare so one can be in the wash while another is in use.
I prefer the fencing type veil as its easy to put through the washer. The ring veils I have had in the past always seem to come out deformed.

Hoop veils won't go through the door of our machine so I unzip them, wash the suits in the machine and hand wash the veils in a tub. Unless there's been stings in the veil or I've been in contact with other colonies the veils tend to stay cleaner and every other suit wash requires a veil wash.

Just bought a new BB Wear. Little disappointed they have changed the design to elastic in the legs instead of zips. I suspect I will find a seamstress and mod it.

Material is the same as the previous one and that lasted well until vermin decided to make a home in it. Must be cosy though!

PH

My first thrones suit lasted me 25 years. Square veil and reed hat. Sadly it started to wear holes. Bought a sheriff and whilst it took a while for me to get used to the fencing veil and seemed much thinner I have not been stung through it yet and every possible entry hole has Velcro as a seal. By the best you can afford and if it is bomb proof then you will grow n confidence by the minute.
E

As per enrico, I was advised to buy the best I could afford, which was good advice as it gave me confidence in my early days. Settled on BB wear, which are cheaper than Sherriff. Fencing veil. My original , full suit, is still in good nick after about 7 years. The elastic had stretched so I renewed it this winter. Bought a second about 5 years ago. Good value for money. A cheap jacket I bought two years ago already has holes in the veil, despite only being hand washed.

Hand wash the cloth bit but not the veil bit...oh and I never use conditioner. Found the bees didn't like it as much as me!
E

I unzip the hood and put it inside the suit. They go through the washer together. Do others hand wash the hood/veil? I just throw mine in the washer

I agree that fencing veils are easy to tuck inside the suit but a domestic front loading washing machine door isn't big enough to pass a rigid hooped veil through. The hooped style gives better distance between the wearers head and mesh. (or so I've found)

The hooped style gives better distance between the wearers head and mesh. (or so I've found)

Lets agree to differ on that GJ. I only wear a veil when there are lots of bees out foraging anyway so, like everything in beekeeping, it depends on your circumstances.

this is the one I have,
https://www.bbwear.co.uk/beekeeping-clothing/bee-suits/rr1-retro-deluxe-full-suit
I like the retro veil over the fencing mask type, only because I find it cooler in the summer. disadvantage is you cant put the hat in the washing machine.

One thing to mention, if you belong to an association BB Wear will do a discount for you.

Same as me, very happy with the whole suit. Just ordered the same thing in the Jacket version. Now i have slightly better behaved bees i can get away with less coverage. Very happy with their service.
What i like most is the veil with its uv resistant qualities. My suit is in my truck or outside all summer so it gets lots of light.i once had a cheap suit that just fell apart and degraded in no time!!!!!!!! You pay your money, you get your goods.

After 9 years using a very second hand suit I treated myself to a Sherriff suit and wish I'd got one sooner. It's so easy to get in and out of and fits perfectly. They ask for your measurements and make a suit if you're not a standard size. No extra charge for that. I'd hate to go back to my old suit now. Lots of colours to choose from and brilliant customer service, too.

BBWear is the dog's balls as far as I'm concerned, I did grudge spending so much on a bee suit but it's really comfortable and hard wearing, can't recommend them highly enough.
A tip I'd like to pass on from one of the mentors in my local club is to wear a baseball cap to prevent the bees from stinging the head!
Discounts are available from the local beekeeping association too, so don't order online before checking first (discounts only available on telephone orders).

Latest posts

Back