Beekeeping South of Spain

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanthomas

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all,

I am new to this forum, and beekeeping.
I have signed up for a beekeeping course here in the south of a Spain (in Colmenar). I am only looking to keep bees for my own interest.
Does anyone have any experience with keeping bees in this part of the Country/continent?
I am starting from scratch, and know nothing about the legal requirements.
I have sent off letters and emails to the local council (Benalmádena) to find out about the paperwork that I need to fill out/have.

I would love to know about urban beekeeping here is Spain. Are you even allowed to keep bees in urban areas?
I know that it is becoming very popular (encouraged) in other parts of the world.

Can any of you point me to any resources.
Any general comments or advice would also be very helpful.

If this has already been covered on a previous post then please refer me to that.

Thanks for your help,

Sean

Does anyone have any experience with keeping bees in this part of the Country/continent?
I am starting from scratch, and know nothing about the legal requirements.
I have sent off letters and emails to the local council (Benalmádena) to find out about the paperwork that I need to fill out/have.

I would love to know about urban beekeeping here is Spain. Are you even allowed to keep bees in urban areas?
I know that it is becoming very popular (encouraged) in other parts of the world.

Can any of you point me to any resources.
Any general comments or advice would also be very helpful.

If this has already been covered on a previous post then please refer me to that.

Thanks for your help,

Sean

Sean, I don't know the answers to your questions, but there are (or have been) various posters from Spain on here (though you might have to wait a while for them to happen past...!)

If you just put "Spain" into the forum Google search (top left corner of the webpage) you'll get more than a few (hopefully helpful) leads.

I think these days you need to post a few times before being able to use the forum's Personal Messaging ("PM") system - so, get busy!

:welcome:

Thank you for the reply Itma,

There are some fantastic threads there, but unfortunately not really what I am looking for.
I am need of some advice with regard to where I can and can´t keep a hive (and what paperwork I need to have in order to keep bees).
I understand that it is becoming highly regulated with the increase of various diseases and pests (varroa mite/foulbrood etc).
I would love to keep one on the roof of our flat! But, I doubt that this would be allowed.

It does look like I am in a bee friendly part of the country though, so that is positive.

I was thinking that after you could use the PM system, you could try and message some of the posters on those threads ... :) ... and see if you get any replies!

// hence my previous remarks about PMs !

Hi Sean I have only just started myself in the uk.
I visit la carihulia 3 times a year and it was only last September I noticed a lot more honey bees about in that area and wandered if someone had some local.
Keep me updated of how you get on if you don't mind.
I day I want to move there myself.

Hi Itma,

I see what you mean now. I will give that a go!

Thanks again,
Sean

Hi John,

I will definitely keep you updated. I think that it is going to be a while before I get going though. As soon as I have done this course in April I will have a better idea of my plans.

La Carihulia is a nice spot. I am a little further up the coast, but not too far.

Regards,
Sean

Latest posts

Back