Beekeeping Professionals

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyzack

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was just wondering. Is this forum discriminating against professional beekeepers? Would we not all be enrichened if their input was encouraged? Isn't it time we had a section for professional beekeepers on this site as do other bee forums? And who cares if they have businesses to promote, we can make our own minds up if their posts are worth reading, can we not?

Andrew

AFAIK, the forum does not discriminate at all?

there are a few 'professional' beekeepers / manufacturers / suppliers on here who post regularly, but they don't blatantly advertise.

why would there need to be a separate area for 'professional' beekeepers?

:rolleyes:

There is no forum discrimination. But I also think professional/amateur/hobbyist is an arbitrary distinction anyway. In fact 100 or more years ago there were few recognised hobbyists - most "cottager" beekeepers would not have kept bees unless it also had the prospect of financial reward, albeit on a small scale.

And.... I don't see why I should be discriminated against by being put in a 'non-professional' group! Smacks of incompetence, once that is done!

If you want a professional forum, they are around. Personally speaking, the fora I frequent do not have a separate section, so why should this one? That would certainly be discrimination!

Are you a secretive 'professional'? 'Cos quite a lot of us could be regarded as 'professional' if all we need is 7 colonies:)

RAB

Could someone please explain to me what the threshold is for being a 'professional'?

I would regard anyone deriving even a part of their annual income from a number of hives as a 'professional'.

I would think most people who contribute to this site are very professional in their approach to working with bees. Some may also keep bees as a commercial venture and we can all learn from each other:party:

As I see it, there are no professional beekeepers on this site, there are some amature beekeepers that have been doing it for a while and some that have branched off to produce bee related equipment, but that's it.
As I see it, a professional beekeeper would not be interested to spend time her, why would they, as soon as they mentioned a product, or a web site, a number of you would be down his or her throats, screaming why are these people doing this, can't we ban them from the site, etc, etc......

Brian

A professional is someone who makes a income from there chosen profession.
Are you wanting more info on how to achieve this ?
Just ask away here no need to be shy lol I don't think a separate section is needed :)

As I see it, there are no professional beekeepers on this site, there are some amature beekeepers that have been doing it for a while and some that have branched off to produce bee related equipment, but that's it.
As I see it, a professional beekeeper would not be interested to spend time her, why would they, as soon as they mentioned a product, or a web site, a number of you would be down his or her throats, screaming why are these people doing this, can't we ban them from the site, etc, etc......

Brian

Well Brian, the primary product from a professional beekeeper is honey. Not much use advertising that to beekeepers.
And you're forgetting that we all share one thing - beekeeping is an obsession defying all logic, whether professional or otherwise and that's why we're all here.

I can pass on a couple of email addresses for two or three professions that tried to mix it on here and you can ask them what response they had...

Brian

Can't see anything anti professional displayed in any of the links .
Saw some :spam: though :gnorsi:

John W

the usual bench mark as a proffesional is someone how can make money at it and hives wise the entry for the bee farmers club is 40 if i remeber rightly.

as someone who has stood next to and played near by with proffesioonal bee keepers for many many years, can i just make this slight observation,

there is more to learn from a "amatuer" bee keeper than a proffesional, as proffesionals work so quickly it is almost impossible to keep up with what they are looking at/doing.

also the way a proffesional deals with and works his hives is massivley differant to the way most people on this forum would even consider. it was normal to see David doing a brood chamber weekly inspection in less than 60 secsonds and that includes removing the supers and putting them back on.

as for why do you want a seperate section, do you feel we are inferior to you and as such are below posting questions answers.

as the forum runs now with a completely flat and level playing field with , there being no form of demarcation. i dont see why or or importantly who it would help

if we do have a proffessional bee area do you want it to be a seperate signing in as well.

and just to finish the rant and to show it is all in jest , can we also have a ugly brummie section too, we could call it the desparate dan section,

:nature-smiley-014:
the usual bench mark as a proffesional is someone how can make money at it and hives wise the entry for the bee farmers club is 40 if i remeber rightly.

as someone who has stood next to and played near by with proffesioonal bee keepers for many many years, can i just make this slight observation,

there is more to learn from a "amatuer" bee keeper than a proffesional, as proffesionals work so quickly it is almost impossible to keep up with what they are looking at/doing.

also the way a proffesional deals with and works his hives is massivley differant to the way most people on this forum would even consider. it was normal to see David doing a brood chamber weekly inspection in less than 60 secsonds and that includes removing the supers and putting them back on.

as for why do you want a seperate section, do you feel we are inferior to you and as such are below posting questions answers.

as the forum runs now with a completely flat and level playing field with , there being no form of demarcation. i dont see why or or importantly who it would help

if we do have a proffessional bee area do you want it to be a seperate signing in as well.

and just to finish the rant and to show it is all in jest , can we also have a ugly brummie section too, we could call it the desparate dan section,

Sorry but a Desperate Dan would be filled with Dundonians. ;)

You are right though Pete, most on here would be a bit bamboozled by the Bee Farmers. On saying that though I was lucky enough to have a master mentor me, and some of his tricks I still pass on.

I can see though the virtue of a "more experienced" section. A zone where at the least the phrase test frame don't bring out a chorus of "What's that?"

PH

I think a professional beekeeper is a beekeeper with a Ford Capri

Back