beekeeping professionally

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it appears that in 2018:

UK production: 6.6 kt
Imports from 3rd countries: 45.1 kt
Imports from EU: 6.5 kt

Total imports: 51.6 kt

100 * 6.6 / 51.6 = 11.3%

I think?

Only if you count the imports from 3rd countries as honey amd not rice syrup.

100 * 6.6 / 51.6 = 11.3%

I think?

Changed a bit from when I did my business plan at the end of the last century then, iirc 40% seemed to ge the hone produced figure.
Some account should also be taken of the vast amount of home produced honey that doesn't get to trouble the statisticians.

Changed a bit from when I did my business plan at the end of the last century then, iirc 40% seemed to ge the hone produced figure.
Some account should also be taken of the vast amount of home produced honey that doesn't get to trouble the statisticians.

There is some inclusion of small beeks into those figures as the average number of hives for the UK is only 6 - not exactly at a commercial level and also the lowest in Europe. The highest was Greece with an average of 147!!! Interestingly when you look at the average yield per hive the positions almost flip with the UK having the third highest and Greece having the second lowest

100 * 6.6 / 51.6 = 11.3%

That tallies with the UK production figure of 12% I've seen quoted (BFA Mag one source) meaning we import 88%; no matter the obstacles, there is for all of us a clear opportunity to increase UK sales.

True, not all small-scale beekeepers want to sell but those that do must be persuaded to up their game: I was in Wakelings in Farncombe on Wednesday (great old-school Surrey butchers that make truly the best but most expensive Scotch eggs I've come across, so I bought two) and saw honey on the counter. No prizes for guessing that it was in a 1lb jar, and it distresses me to tell you that it wore one of the the dullest labels Thorne produce. For that the shop asked £8, so the beekeeper may have got a fiver.

This low price and outdated packaging is out of sync with the customer base: people who are prepared to pay much more for quality, locally produced meat of known provenance. Honey could be sold alongside at a comparative level but only when beekeepers wake up to the fact that the pound jar is dead and that contemporary packaging is essential; without that approach the public will continue to perceive UK honey as a cheap amateur product.

... only when beekeepers wake up to the fact that the pound jar is dead and that contemporary packaging is essential; without that approach the public will continue to perceive UK honey as a cheap amateur product.

What is your objection to the 454g jar? My pantry is full of jams, marmalades and other preserves in 454g jars.

I don't really see an issue with a 1lb jar as opposed to a 12oz jar, price point is the issue not the volume the product is sold.

I currently have both sizes and have not decided which size to stick with but do not intend to do both indefinitely. I am currently favouring 12oz size.

I accept that my labels may not be the most swish, I produce them myself, they are 'black and white'. I do add an anti tamper label which does make them look neater and more 'professional'. I do intend to upgrade to a larger label (as i think it looks a bit crushed) and go colour but I am no label designer and so it has stayed as it is for now. I do not like the standard labels sold by the suppliers so when I get round to it i fully intend to redesign it and continue to make my own - any tips welcome!

100 * 6.6 / 51.6 = 11.3%

I think?
Think it should be UK production/Total consumption (UK + imports) = 100 * 6.6/58.2 = 11.3%

So wrong calculation but you ended up with the right solution somehow :)

I don't really see an issue with a 1lb jar as opposed to a 12oz jar, price point is the issue not the volume the product is sold.

I currently have both sizes and have not decided which size to stick with but do not intend to do both indefinitely. I am currently favouring 12oz size.

I accept that my labels may not be the most swish, I produce them myself, they are 'black and white'. I do add an anti tamper label which does make them look neater and more 'professional'. I do intend to upgrade to a larger label (as i think it looks a bit crushed) and go colour but I am no label designer and so it has stayed as it is for now. I do not like the standard labels sold by the suppliers so when I get round to it i fully intend to redesign it and continue to make my own - any tips welcome!

I've never used 1lb jars, I use 340g hexagonal as standard and like you use black and white polyester labels.
I use smaller jars, 227g, 140g and 40g for special sales such as shows and Xmas where you can up prices as the small jars are normally bought for presents etc.

Think it should be UK production/Total consumption (UK + imports) = 100 * 6.6/58.2 = 11.3%

So wrong calculation but you ended up with the right solution somehow :)

Yep you're right I did the calculation on my calculator as you said then typed the wrong numbers into my post. Sorry for the confusion!

Although I sell in 12oz jars i much prefer to eat out of the traditional 1lb jar, far better access for spoon twiddling & no corners to scrape - I can’t be the only one?
As for pricing per jar that went out the window a long time ago - I have boxes that fit 12 jars & I price per pack.
At some stage I do envisage returning to lb jars when the local pricing seems right.

Although I sell in 12oz jars i much prefer to eat out of the traditional 1lb jar, far better access for spoon twiddling & no corners to scrape - I can’t be the only one?
As for pricing per jar that went out the window a long time ago - I have boxes that fit 12 jars & I price per pack.
At some stage I do envisage returning to lb jars when the local pricing seems right.
You certainly aren't the only one who likes the traditional 1lb jars, l use them exclusively, altho' l usually keep my own counsel on this as so many on this forum seem, for some reason, to advocate hexagonal 12oz jars above all others. I just don't understand why.

You certainly aren't the only one who likes the traditional 1lb jars, l use them exclusively, altho' l usually keep my own counsel on this as so many on this forum seem, for some reason, to advocate hexagonal 12oz jars above all others. I just don't understand why.

Shelf and customer appeal is key and hex jars look so much more expensive than traditional round ones .. plus .. price point. You get a better rate for your honey as people are prepared to shell out somwhere between £4.50 and £5.75 for 12 oz (depending on your location it would seem) whereas they are more reluctant to pay between £6.00 and £8.00 for a pound size.

If it works for you to sell to your customers in one pound jars that's fine ..I tried and it just doesn't work as well for me as hex 12oz. I've tried side by side with the two jars and even reducing the price per pound in the pound jar the 12 oz still outstripped the pound by at least 3:1. No brainer for me I'm afraid.

I don't like the screw caps that are used with the traditional 1lb jars. I now use those with the twist-off caps, but I don't see a problem with the 454g size.

Yep me too, I sell honey by the lb, drink beer by the pint and still think in terms of feet and inches when setting out veg plots or attempting woodwork.

Yep me too, I sell honey by the lb, drink beer by the pint and still think in terms of feet and inches when setting out veg plots or attempting woodwork.

Me too, I do sell the more "gifty" 8oz hex jars but I respect and care for my customers enough not to try and trick them with the 12oz shithousery, I sell many tons each season in the traditional 1lb squat jar. I also sell in 7lb and 30lb tubs for larger families or people using it in catering, baking, brewing etc.

I'm trying the 340 g/12 oz hex jars for the first time this year. Just getting labels printed so not sold any yet. On-line prices are up to £10.95 / 340 g (The Hive Honey Shop), although you do get a fancy paper jar cap and an elastic band thrown in. I thought I'd pitch mine @ £6.50 to start (no paper cap or elastic band). I sold 1 lb jars at this price last year without difficulty.

Me too, I do sell the more "gifty" 8oz hex jars but I respect and care for my customers enough not to try and trick them with the 12oz shithousery, I sell many tons each season in the traditional 1lb squat jar. I also sell in 7lb and 30lb tubs for larger families or people using it in catering, baking, brewing etc.
....and whilst Im at it, my motor bike travels at m.p.h. and has a petrol tank that holds gallons of fuel, the odd trout I catch is bragged about in lbs , my chickens eggs are packed in boxes of half doz., atmospheric pressure is ins of hg but for some unknown reason temperature has always been degrees C.

....and whilst Im at it, my motor bike travels at m.p.h. and has a petrol tank that holds gallons of fuel, the odd trout I catch is bragged about in lbs , my chickens eggs are packed in boxes of half doz., atmospheric pressure is ins of hg but for some unknown reason temperature has always been degrees C.

My hex jars are 3/4 lb .. 12 oz. I really don't think your point holds water - either in pints, quarts, gallons, firkins, rundlets, tierce, hogsheads or barrique and a few odd sizes in between !

You are obliged under current EU regulations to declare weights in metric ..why else would you have 454gm jars ?

Whilst you are at it ... why is carpet sold by the square metre but measured in feet and inches ?

There is a generation (that arrived after many on here) ... who are not old enough to remember 'old money' measurements and only know metric .. we dinosaurs, who are bilingual in measurement terms, are a dying breed. Embrace a new order :) As the mighty Bob Dylan said .... The times they are a'changing.

Latest posts

Back