Beekeeping for beginners

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldbelly

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all,

For some time now I have been interested in keeping bees, mainly for the enjoyment of watching the hive develop and a bit because my grandfather is mad about honey!

I have ordered a book to read through, carefully chosen and it was recommended by a lot of people. I am also looking to buy a set of DVDs to watch. And does anybody recommend any specific courses?

I suppose my first of many questions is how much time does hive care and maintenance take up.
Also would I need to plant specific plants in my garden or do the bees find them themselves

Thank you in advance, this is a hobby I am very keen to become a part of, along with fulfilling a boy hood dream

Jack

Hi Jack.
Get in touch with your local beekeeping associaion, they will probably invite you along to their teaching apiary to have a feel of what it's like. beekeeping course usually start during the winter (Classroom) then carry on at the apiary spring and summer - these courses are a lot more useful and better VFM than these day/weekend long courses advertised for exhorbidant prices here and there.
Planting pollinator friendly plants are always a good idea - not specifically for your bees (they will probably forage further afield) but something will benefit down the line - look at the RHS site for pollinator friendly plants.

can't show the link on here but search for RHS perfect for pollinators

Thank you very much! When is the best time to acquire your first colony? Spring? Summer?

Okay, thank you

Is it best for me to wait for next year to get my own colony or is it a relatively easy hobby to learn?

Thanks for all your help!

:welcome:

This year you could try catching a swarm in a bait hive?
:party:

Read through some of the posts on here and save up for the equipment first, try to find someone who could mentor you locally!

However, you should be prepared for it all to take off very quickly if you do, could still be fun!
:calmdown::calmdown:

Oh, and if some of the advice on here sounds daft? If possibly could be!:gnorsi:

The sensible advice would be:
Join your local association and get a feel this year in their apiary,
do a theory course over the winter and buy all your gear in the winter sales,
look to get a nuc next year (usually about this time) and away you go.

That's the sensible advice, if you do want to get stuck in and get a nuc/swarm now then you will have a steep learning curve as you go.

Whatever you do make sure you can cope with putting your hands into a beehive, and cope with being stung, before you buy anything.

To answer your first question, how much time does it take up?

In theory with one hive about 30mins a week to check it, but you need to do it on a weekly basis.

In practice it consumes every available moment of what you thought was going to be your free time!!

:iagree:

Plus, as a beginner, those 30 minute checks may well take a lot longer. Then there is all the stuff that bees do that is not in books. Have someone experienced who is willing to mentor you.

Thanks for all the great advice guys!!

I obviously have lots of questions but I'm going to get my book and read it first, I'll ask anything that it doesn't answer...

Thank you all though, I really appreciate it!

I am in my 2nd year,...

Like you are about to do i read, re read every book, blog, article i could find. Luckily enough i was blessed with finding a keeper from my local association who was incredibly nice. Before starting this wonderful hobby you need to make contact with your local association. The BBKA can help with that.

Speak to people there and they will inevitably invite you to visit their apiary. You need to go and experience this. When you get your first hive you'll think there's a lot of bees (there'll probably be about 3-5k) Come August when there's 35k that is a lot of bees and can be intimidating. You need to experience a busy hive. Then, go on a course for beginners then next year get a mentor, and your first colony. Don't rush it.

Oh and don't think for a second that the learning curve is anything other then steep!

To answer your first question, how much time does it take up?

In theory with one hive about 30mins a week to check it, but you need to do it on a weekly basis.

In practice it consumes every available moment of what you thought was going to be your free time!!
how very true !!!

Latest posts

Back