Beekeeping and lymphoma

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freya100

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I'm a novice beekeeper in London. I currently have no bees.

Last year I was diagnosed with non Hodgkin's lymphoma. After undergoing some major chemotherapy treatment my doctors told me in Feb this year that I'm in remission. Hurrah!

At times during treatment (when my white cell count fell and I was at high risk of infection because my immune system was compromised) I was advised to avoid certain foods, including honey.

I'm wondering whether there's any risk attached to keeping bees in early/later remission, and how I could manage any risk. Maybe I should postpone getting any bees this year? Or will I have to abandon beekeeping completely?

Does anyone have any advice/guidance they could share with me? I'm going to discuss it with my consultant but it would be helpful to get input from beekeepers.

Many thanks

Freya100

Hi Freya

And welcome to the forum.

I know nothing about the medical side .

But if its is safe for you to take a sting or 10, before you make any decision.. try attending beekeeping classes and see hives in the real world.

Best to know if you like it before committing £s.

At times during treatment (when my white cell count fell and I was at high risk of infection because my immune system was compromised) I was advised to avoid certain foods, including honey.

AFAIK there is no reason to avoid any foods following Chemo, only to make sure they are properly prepared.

I think you should get professional advice, not from Bee keepers.

Chris

Perhaps the advice to avoid honey was for the same reasons that honey is not recommended for babies - because of the possible presence of botulinum spores which are normally harmless to adults?

Perhaps the advice to avoid honey was for the same reasons that honey is not recommended for babies - because of the possible presence of botulinum spores which are normally harmless to adults?

it can carry spores from the Clostridium botulinum bacteria that can produce the botulism toxin. In fact, approximately 10 percent of honey tests positive for botulism spores.

it can carry spores from the Clostridium botulinum bacteria that can produce the botulism toxin. In fact, approximately 10 percent of honey tests positive for botulism spores.

C. Botulinum spores are rendered harmless by the acidity of an adult's digestive system.
Very young infants (< 1 year) don't have a reliably acid digestive system, so shouldn't be given honey.
I have no idea whether Freya's digestive system has been totally kyboshed by any treatments, but think it unlikely.

Honey is simply not in the same class of foods as many cheeses (for example) which have potentially problematic live bacterial content.
Such things (as those cheeses) are normally put on "avoid" lists (together with raw eggs, and mayo made with them, etc) for the pregnant, elderly and infirm. (Not that all 3 usually apply simultaneously! :) )

You simply won't get an *infection* from honey.
In fact honey is often used to treat infections! It has antibiotic and antimicrobial properties.
It is even used sometimes as a wound dressing, to prevent infection.

Absolutely no idea what bee-venom from stings might do to you Freya, or whether there might be drug interactions. Ask your professionals.
Have you ever had a sting from a honey-bee? (It is a different venom to wasps, etc and people do react differently.)

Regarding starting bee-keeping, its good advice to be an assistant before getting your own. Plenty folk would be delighted to have a willing assistant and eager pupil. Ask around at your local association(s).
I'd just caution against any thought that that thick gloves might be helpful to avoid stings. Because of reducing dexterity and 'feel', together with holding pheromones (and potentially bee diseases), most beekeepers would advise you against them. Wearing two pairs of rubber gloves would be a much better idea.

Last edited:

In fact in one study of 90 samples 10% of samples tested positive? That study?

Not heard of honey being highlighted. No yoghurt yes, but not honey. Bit of a travesty that the one-off injections for use after chemo to keep your "whites" up are not more available. Makes a big difference.

Hi Freya,

I'm your mum's friend Kate-in-Oxford's daughter, Elly. Very glad to hear you are in remission :) If you are able to take up beekeeping again then do get in touch, we'd be very happy to give you a nuc.

Best wishes xx

I think you should get professional advice, not from Bee keepers.

Chris

:iagree:

This is a medical matter not a beekeeping matter. Please please please, trust your doctors advice over any of us! If in doubt get a second opinion from another doctor.

Hope you get good news and start enjoying your own bees soon.

Ex

This is a medical matter not a beekeeping matter. Please please please, trust your doctors advice over any of us! If in doubt get a second opinion from another doctor.

Hope you get good news and start enjoying your own bees soon.

Ex

Ask an expert rather than what some guy or gal on a forum reckons but is actually guessing.

This is very much an area where you need to get professional medical advice. My concern however is that the person you seek advice from might not understand all of the challenges that you might face whilst bee keeping.

As a cursory starting point, it seems to me that there are three areas of exposure to consider;

Risk arising from the consumption of honey.

Risk arising from being stung and there are two factors to consider. The first is that of the effects of envenomation including both direct toxicity and allergic/allergenic reactions. The second, and probably more problematic area, is infection resulting from the microbiological innoculum that one gets from a bee sting with particular regard to the risk of developing cellulitis.

Risk from working around hives in particular from inhaled fungal spores.

Anyway, delighted to hear that you are in remission. Best of luck and I hope things go well for you.

I'm a medic and beekeeper of many decades and cannot remember hearing this advice, nor can i think of an obvious risk. Who gave you the advice or where did you read it? I suggest you ask them the source of their advice. Secondly, buy a good quality one-piece bee suit, wellies and gloves thus reducing (but not eliminating) chance of stings.
If you get further provenance of the advice from your source I would be interested to hear

Thanks for all your comments. And hello Elly :)

I attended a weekend beekeeping course a couple of years ago (the tutor recently suggested this forum might be helpful with my query), am a member of my local beekeepers group, have a mentor who lives a few streets away, have all the basic beekeeping kit, and have had (and lost) one colony.

Soon after diagnosis I mentioned my beekeeping to the doctors and we agreed to discuss it again at the end of treatment. So I'll be talking with them again. I posed the query here because I'm keen to hear from any beekeeper who's had a similar experience.

I'd particularly like to thank the people who've shared their experience of beekeeping and cancer - for the practical tips and advice and the inspiration.

Thanks for the offer :)
I'll let you know what the doctors say about pulling on my suit again!

Latest posts

Back