Beekeeping advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be wary of garden hives. As a beginner you want to gain confidence and avoid getting flustered. My bees are generally docile but for some reason today when I popped by wearing only a veil several angry bees attacked me and I got stung on the ankle! My apiary is 10 minutes walk, 3 minutes cycle, good car access - ideal.

Awakening Queen wasp ,among a myriad of things could have been responsible !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sean just under your name at the top right of the page it says private messages, if you click that you will see that you have an unread message
:welcome:

Hi Sean

I have kept two colonies in a relatively small garden with neighbours either side and at the back without ANY issues at all. They need a little more looking after that's all.

Everyone said the same to me when I started three years ago and I have never had an issue. Don't let people put you off the idea of keeping them in your garden, just be aware that doing it comes with a few extra issues. Nothing that you cant get over though.

Hi Sean,

Tomorrow I am picking up my second hive to add to my first in the garage (minus bees!), so I have gone through the same as you recently.

I would strongly recommend:

1. Do a theory course/join a local bee club.
2. Followed immediately by a seasons hands on practical with an experienced beekeeper.
3. Get stung.
4. Have a long hard think, as it is a time/money/life commitment.
5. Collect at least two hives for the new season of the same type as your local club members.
6. Go for it.
7. Have a great time.

speaking from experience as a beginner: listen to all of the advice then make your own decisions based on the wisdom of others. You will make mistakes as do we all.
Remember: it is a wise man than learns from the mistakes of others.

Good luck.

That's a big garden, stuff the bees sell it to a builder who will put a few houses on it then buy a small holding for you and your bees simples

Oh no redwood, we have just moved in. Wouldnt dream of that, settled n love it. As i stand here now having a cheecky smoke, im listen to 3 tawny owls calling and strangly a robin ohuh. Wouldnt change that for the world bud.
Ill get there afterall i got books, courses, internet and you lovely people on here and locally.

Latest posts

Back