Beehaus design as per National Standard?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the new breed of bee keepers are prepared for their bees to die so that the can appear cool on you tube, because they cant be bothered to learn a few rudiments of how to keep bees and these are the same people who want to save the world and only eat organic because they can aford to,who are interested in what they eat and how its produced but it would appear not in the welfare of thier honey bees .but are prepared to use a plastic hive from a non sustainable source or are the beehause made from recycled plastic?but so long as it cool thats ok,and or could they have bought a wooden dartington almost the same, design, made from trees that are sustainable saved some money and donated to good causes. and when its no longer cool to have bees and they have moved on to free range plastic snail houses can we please go back to enthusiastic amatures and enjoy beekeeping regards jim

So what happens when an establised beekeeper transfers over to the beehaus, are they to be dammed for ever?:confused:

Usually before that point they will have been restrained, sedated and placed in a padded cell.

Beehaus's at the heather .... that's a thought!

I'll go for poly Langs thanks, and that rather attractive beek in the IWF / Swienty Film, that John told us about ! :)

You ditching Frisbee and her wonderfull ass then ??

And the price was about £90 for one hive inc, QX, supers cover board etc (basiclay a hive excluding frames and foundation)

What’s your view now?

yay i'd love one (my view would be).. tho i do quite like the size of the beehause.. quite difficult for someone to pick up and run off with compared to most hives, tho supers are much easier to pilfer

my biggest concern is disease and sterilisation, I know you answered that question the other day but I'd be paranoid about it and I wouldn't be able to have a bonfire as I would with wooden nationals

fire sterilisation is one of my biggest concerns.. it amazes me that in light of all the studies showing how far spores can spread if picked up by the heated air currents of a fire that we still have such archean practices. nother reason i went ofr a beehause.. i dont want to have to do somethign i know to be wrong in order to meet the legal requirments.. i'd much rather chemically clean and actually stop the spreading of infections than have a bonfire and send a proportion of the spores skywards to infect others hives.

and by the way there was a plastic national hive produced that was interchangable it was not polystyrenei had them in the 1980's regards jim

the 80s tastic ones were good IMHO, seen them still in use after 15 or so years sucessfully. as long as they wern't moved about a lot.. i think their main downfall is they had no UV protection and ended up getting very birttle in the sun.
After all for many amateurs beekeeping is a fascinating 'craft', and do we really need "Weapons Grade" beehives ?
hell yeah for some of us the only really feasible way of keeping bees without continually patching up a hive is to either fiberglass the outer layer of any bought hive or go for a beehaus in the hope that they may offer at least some degree of woodpecker protection:

trees in my garden don't do all that well
album.php

ooo can we not link to internal pics? odd
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=243&pictureid=1428

Latest posts

Back