British Standard National Beehive Design Improvements

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdixon520

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi Everyone,

I am a product designer currently working on designing a plastic version of the British Standard National Beehive.
I would be grateful if people could give me feedback on how they feel the wooden British National Hive could be improved or any concerns they have regarding the performance of a plastic hive.

Thanks in advance,
Robert

Read archived posts :)
There is a wealth of copy including entire threads devoted to wood, plastic and expanded polystyrene hives plus their relative merits!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can open, worms everywhere.
:)

Use the search facility and enter poly v timber . For starters . Although the emotions roused by the differing camps will soon give you enough food for thought :D
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ulster beekeepers (UBKA) are having their conference on Sat 8th March at Greenmount - why not come along for the day and ask a few? Each local association will have a stand this year so plenty of folks to ask

Hi Everyone,

I am a product designer currently working on designing a plastic version of the British Standard National Beehive.
I would be grateful if people could give me feedback on how they feel the wooden British National Hive could be improved or any concerns they have regarding the performance of a plastic hive.

Thanks in advance,
Robert

Welcome to the forum.
What type of plastic is you design based around?
The hive is a number of parts that make a whole, floor, broad box, super (box), queen excluder, crown board and roof
The current wooden box offering comprises of 8 components, plus fixings whereas the poly alternative is a one piece box.

Last edited:
Beekeepers are generally an innovative lot, trying new ideas and experimenting with equipment, discarding what doesnt work, and keeping what does, yet the basic British Standard National Beehive has stood the test of time and remains the most popular hive format in the UK.
All the best in your endeavours to improve on it, but 100's of thousands of enquireing minds have gone before you and settled for what is a very serviceable unit.

Thanks Blackcavebees I saw the event advertised through some of my searches.
It would definitely be beneficial getting numerous peoples opinions.

Hi Russel,

I have not decided on a type of plastic as yet as I am only at the early stages of research and design, hence that is why I am asking peoples feedback on any improvements which could be made.
Once I start to develop my ideas a bit I will start to look at materials.

Doesn't need improving and already widely available in poly which is superior to plastic. Save your time effort and money, and a huge headache.

Doesn't need improving and already widely available in poly which is superior to plastic. Save your time effort and money, and a huge headache.

One idea would be to simplify it by getting rid of the silly long luggs on the frames and making the box out of only 4 bits of wood :rolleyes:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance,
Robert

Good luck ... if it's just a design project then there's quite a few things you could do to improve on the existing National box ... but the dimensions (internal and external) need to match the existing box and there needs to be insulation that at least meets the existing thermal properties of cedar or preferably far exceeds them ... and ideally it needs to be lighter in weight.

(Which will probably bring you back to the existing offering of various poly hives !).

If you are designing from the point of view of actually marketing and selling the product .... you are probably running up a blind alley. Look for something else to improve.

One idea would be to simplify it by getting rid of the silly long luggs on the frames and making the box out of only 4 bits of wood :rolleyes:

That would be the Smith hive, popular north of the English border!

There are plastic hives in foreign lands but never really took off in the UK probably because of it's lack of thermal an aesthetic qualities. I do however think the national hive is a bit complicated to make and assemble and would welcome a simplistic design using modern fittings and fixtures that comes flat packed and erected in a few minutes. plastic parts could be used in conjunction with traditional wood in areas of high moisture and wear like the top and bottom rails. The plastic choice will have to be non toxic, durable and pleasing to the eye. Most of all you will have to convince beekeepers that the product they are buying is an improvement on the original and marketed at a realistic price.
Good luck

Go to "Beehive Types" on this Forum and read all the comments on the Beehaus. It will warn you of the problems you'll encounter in designing a new hive type, and also show you how resistant to innovation beekeepers can be, often with good reason, but occasionally without.

If you can come up with a cheap plastic hive, then I think you'll have a winner, if you can overcome the one biggest problem of plastic hives: plastic hives are often not strong enough for large hives, so the plastic bends and buckles, which means that the internal dimensions of the hives are no longer precisely correct... and with beekeeping, the internal dimensions must stay constant.

What would also be cool is if your design could be modular, in the sense that the hives are sold flat pack and are easily assembled. However, this would require even stronger plastic, to ensure that the hive walls don't buckle. I suspect, in fact, that a good plastic hive would be as bulky as a poly hive.

It would also be good if your hive is compatible with existing, wooden hives. On the other hand, having slight telescoping walls would make your hive more suited for travelling with the hives. Alternatively, don't make the walls telescoping but design a kind of strip that the beekeeper can attach to the place where the one box sits on top of the other box, which prevents the boxes from sliding off each other. Then your hive will be good for travelling and will have beespace that is compatible with wooden hives.

If you use the pre-war design (that is still used in the Netherlands with their spaarkast hive), and make the hive 465x465 mm on the outside, then you can make the hive easily out of the four identical walls plus the two frame rests that fit into small slots inside the four walls. If you do that, then you can also sell smaller frame rests that can be used with the exact same walls but which will allow the beekeeper to use Commercial frames, and bigger frame rests that will convert it into a Smith hive.

It would have been cool if you could somehow allow both Commercial and National box heights with the same generic components, although I suspect that you would not be able to do that.

I know nothing about plastics, but would it be an idea to make a hive that has thick, strong, sturdy corners, so that the four walls don't actually carry any weight, and the corners carry all the weight?

Plastic has many advantages over e.g. poly. Plastic does not let any water through nor does it absorb water. Depending on the type of plastic, you can wash it and clean it of all disease easily in the dishwasher. You can make the plastic walls "hollow" and fill them with an insulating substance. I suggest you take a look at the Turkish plastic hive's marketing materials.

I have not decided on a type of plastic as yet as I am only at the early stages of research and design, hence that is why I am asking peoples feedback

Try cedarwood - I find that's excellent, so do the bees

Latest posts

Back