British Standard National Beehive Design Improvements

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before you compare "plastic" to "plastic foams" I suggest acquiring some knowledge as EPS does not absorb water to any significant degree.

True. Googling eps+water+absorption brings up the results. EPS absorbs very little if immersed in water, and even less if exposed to vapour.

However, most studies about water absorption and EPS focus on whether the water absorption affects the R value of the material. And while R value is of moderate importance to beekeepers, a bigger issue for beekeepers that is related to moisture absorption is the "absorption" of traces of diseases and chemicals, and how easily these traces can be removed.

A year-old EPS hive can't be cleaned of traces of chemicals and diseases quite as perfectly nor as easily as a year-old plastic hive.

Large high pressure injection moulds are (very) expensive.

But the market for "National" hives is pretty small. It is essentially UK-only, so export markets aren't going to contribute increased production volumes.

Good point. So here's an idea: instead of designing a new hive body, why not design a new hive floor? Hive floors are relatively expensive (in my opinion), and if you can make a cheaper one, you may have a winner. Also, it should be simple to make a hive floor that can be converted for usage with a number of local and foreign hive sizes with minimal adaptation. You can also make the floor much heavier without making it any less attractive to users.

I've always thought the 'bee escapes' needed some work - could you also look at those?

Good point. So here's an idea: instead of designing a new hive body, why not design a new hive floor? Hive floors are relatively expensive (in my opinion), and if you can make a cheaper one, you may have a winner. Also, it should be simple to make a hive floor that can be converted for usage with a number of local and foreign hive sizes with minimal adaptation. You can also make the floor much heavier without making it any less attractive to users.

lol you don't want to much do you

One idea would be to simplify it by getting rid of the silly long luggs on the frames and making the box out of only 4 bits of wood :rolleyes:

Long lugs are very good for those of us with small, weak hands and a deep comb full of honey....

PS Did I see jbm just now, or am I hallucinating? What's he up to these days......?

True. Googling eps+water+absorption brings up the results. EPS absorbs very little if immersed in water, and even less if exposed to vapour.

However, most studies about water absorption and EPS focus on whether the water absorption affects the R value of the material. And while R value is of moderate importance to beekeepers, a bigger issue for beekeepers that is related to moisture absorption is the "absorption" of traces of diseases and chemicals, and how easily these traces can be removed.

A year-old EPS hive can't be cleaned of traces of chemicals and diseases quite as perfectly nor as easily as a year-old plastic hive.

Again, I think you need to look closer at properties of non-foam plastics...

Plastic Hives

Hi the best of luck with the plastic hive, if you need anybody to try them out I would be more than happy to help

details please BeeboP, i have never found any sites selling poly commercials, when i have enquired it is always "tooling too expensive for a small market"

They are 6 frame commercial nucs (not full sized hives) available at Ab+lo @ £34. I have not seen one other than on their website.

beebop.

They are 6 frame commercial nucs (not full sized hives) available at Ab+lo @ £34. I have not seen one other than on their website.

beebop.

Well spotted!
Looks like they have made a modified version of the Langstroth nuc - probably using the same floor, roof and plain sides.
Interesting!

Well spotted!
Looks like they have made a modified version of the Langstroth nuc - probably using the same floor, roof and plain sides.
Interesting!

I have a couple, they have an odd false end wall screwed in opposite the entrance leaving an open space behind it. I thought this might prove troublesome , but it hasnt been a problem so far.

I use a plastic Langstoroth bee hives made from polypropylene. I find they have a lot of advantages to my style of beekeeping. but each to there own

Long lugs are very good for those of us with small, weak hands and a deep comb full of honey....

PS Did I see jbm just now, or am I hallucinating? What's he up to these days......?

Same as usual skiving off from his duties as a civil servant :smilielol5:
But really he has gone to Africa to help orphans and the community, and a bit of beekeeping at the same time when he's not fishing ;)

Latest posts

Back