Beeb bee news item

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travelator

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Report of varroa tolerance in Cornish bees, somewhat simplified and exaggerated:

bbc website /news/uk-england-cornwall-22811683

Not as bad as similar items recently from other news sources!

Link did not open

I think you would have to read peer reviewed published papers to see what researchers are finding out.......
Journalists can sometimes not quite understand.... just look what happened over MMR vaccine!

This tolerance or perhaps varoa avirulence has been seen elsewhere google
arnot forest Seeley.

Remember it is possible that by treating for varroa we maybe genetically selecting the most prolific varroa, as none of the treatments eradicate varroa in a hive...
We didnt treat last autumn or winter, because dosage and toxicity is based on bees in cold hives. So we did not feel confident that treating would not damage the colonies.
One hive out of 4 got noticeable DWV. This hive has recovered sufficiently to fill a brood and a half.
Will it all end in tears?.. we will find out.

Last edited:
On reflection, it's actually a pretty good article. It's certainly the first time I've seen an attempt to explain DWV to a lay audience.

What annoyed me slightly was that (as others have pointed out) this isn't new news.

Must say the bees shown had more yellow on them than mine. The beek also said that they were a rare species from ice age, just a tad exaggerated and misguided.
Still as my director says all news is good news even if its a load of bxxxls
S

Must say the bees shown had more yellow on them than mine. The beek also said that they were a rare species from ice age, just a tad exaggerated and misguided.
Still as my director says all news is good news even if its a load of bxxxls
S

All I am getting is a page with a pic of some rather nice healthy looking bees... is there more ?

Latest posts

Back