Bee suit washing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim.S

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
More than I used to have.
At the moment I wash my own bee suit at home in our family washing machine. My wife does not handle any of my bee clothing nor does it get put in with any other clothes.

Question - is this enough separation between my bee clothes and by definition traces of venom and my wife. I remember reading on here about Mike Palmer and I think his daughter? and the problems that ensued due to exposure to small traces of venom over a prolonged period.

Also have any papers ever been published studying any possible link between exposure to small doses of bee venom and possible sensitization?

I only soak my jacket in Bio washng powder in warm water for an hour and then rinse and hang on washing line to dry.

Used jacket hung in garage.

Multiple suit stings? Requeen.

Someone once told me that their wife had developed a contact allergy to propolis through washing his suits over the years. But that was anecdotal

I just wash mine & the kids suits in the machine on their own using just soda crystals
I'd be surprised if the alarm pheromone survives a wash cycle & transfers to future washed clothing.

Someone once told me that their wife had developed a contact allergy to propolis through washing his suits over the years. But that was anecdotal

I just wash mine & the kids suits in the machine on their own using just soda crystals
I'd be surprised if the alarm pheromone survives a wash cycle & transfers to future washed clothing.

I think too much is put down to allergies these days, people need to get out the house more & experience life, in a few hundred years humans will be growing up in cells like bees to keep them safe from harm.:icon_204-2:

I think too much is put down to allergies these days, people need to get out the house more & experience life, in a few hundred years humans will be growing up in cells like bees to keep them safe from harm.:icon_204-2:

Some people do live in cells, but that,s for the safety of others :icon_204-2:

There is some anecdotal stuff about wives of SBIs & beefarmers having unusually high levels of bee-sensitivity.
Probably not just a means of getting out of doing his laundry ...

I use the machine for my suit, but use washing soda.
One important washing machine tip/habit/idea is to give the machine a maximum temperature wash (with a cupful of strong clear vinegar) to clear out all the cruddy stuff that builds up where you can't see it (and which might just possibly hold some traces of beesting chemicals - and here its venom rather than pheromones that would matter). About once a month seems to keep the machine smelling sweet.

You obviously don't suffer from any - count yourself lucky. The OP is responding to anecdotal but growing concerns about beekeeper family members being more likely to develop severe allergies from frequent low level exposure to bee venom from contact with bee suits etc. Knowing a few beeks where this has happened means now I have seperate bee clothes and I always change and don't wear my suit in the car. Also wash bee suit using soda crystals on its own then afterwards put the machine on empty on a rinse cycle to make sure all traces are gone. I couldn't forgive myself if a family member became severly allergic through my own poor bee clothes hygiene.

Well, don't use Anecdotal or any of those other fancy brands and just use soda to wash the suits...

If someone is that worried then why use the family washing machine? What's wrong with a simple hand wash?

Some of these may add fuel to the fire?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19853358
or
Old 19th January 2014, 09:02 PM #8
Michael Palmer
House Bee

Users Country Flag
Hive Type: Langstroth
Number Of Hives: 700 Default
----------------------------------------------------------------

It is possible to develop an allergy to...I'll call it "bee dust". The proteins given off by bees.

I have an entomologist friend who is a professor at the university. His specialty is a species of beetle, and a group of vespids here in Vermont. By handling them, he's become allergic to their dander, and he can no longer pick them up. His students have to do the work.
or
http://www.lindsaysapiaries.co.nz/allergies.html

Browse at your leisure. :)

It is possible to develop an allergy to...I'll call it "bee dust". The proteins given off by bees.

I have an entomologist friend who is a professor at the university. His specialty is a species of beetle, and a group of vespids here in Vermont. By handling them, he's become allergic to their dander, and he can no longer pick them up. His students have to do the work.
or
http://www.lindsaysapiaries.co.nz/allergies.html

Browse at your leisure. :)

A lot of lab workers become allergic to Locusts - it is a well know hazard of working with them. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3346482

So, I could see that someone could become allergic to "bee dust".

Since the allergens are probably proteins, I would suspect that a "biological" washing powder would break them down. I personally use a bio powder to make sure that any viruses or bacteria on my suit are killed off.

IS it OK to put soda crystals in the machine? I thought the idea was to soak the suit in them first, and then wash in the machine as usual.

IS it OK to put soda crystals in the machine? I thought the idea was to soak the suit in them first, and then wash in the machine as usual.

Yes, I do. It helps to soften the water in any case as that was the original idea for using washing soda. :)

A lot of lab workers become allergic to Locusts - it is a well know hazard of working with them. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3346482

So, I could see that someone could become allergic to "bee dust".

Since the allergens are probably proteins, I would suspect that a "biological" washing powder would break them down. I personally use a bio powder to make sure that any viruses or bacteria on my suit are killed off.

Although I'm not sure, I think most 'allergies' are due to proteins of various types. The thing is if you bring the suit into the house, then the proteins will be spread around the house as they are extremely small particles and can remain suspended in the air for some time. Move around and they are blown all over the place. People will breath them in, they will get on peoples skin (they may rub their eyes and contaminate themselves). Think of it like radio active 'dust' and then think how you would try to stop it getting to your family.
Well that' s enough scare stories for this time of night as I don't want people to have nightmares.......or do I? :eek::reddevil::)

If you have hard water, soda will prolong the life of the machine as it helps remove the limescale.
(if you have soft water it makes little difference)

If someone knows Murray MacGregor in Scotland, ask him to post his experiences in this thread.

Sorry Michael. I don't know of this guy. Did he have bad experience with this 'bee dust'?
Slightly off topic but many people who are allergic to cats suffer from the dried saliva from the cats fur after washing. More proteins I believe.
Pollen another 'protein' baring 'dust'.
Regards :)

Latest posts

Back