Best ventilated bee suit?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It's a fairly fluid thing.... more than 10, less than 15
So after nearly passing out in 27 degree heat doing the inspections and peeling off everything (literally) and bunging all my soggy clothes and bee suit straight in the washing machine…… I’m seriously considering splashing out on a ventilated suit.
So I’m interested to know makes the best ones and why would you recommend them?
Hoping not to spend an arm & a leg on one if possible 😉

I like my three-layer Oz Armour suit. In terms of staying cool it's the best I've ever had and I've not (so far, at least) been stung through it. When there's a bit of a breeze in warm weather it's such a pleasure to be wearing. It seems that bees are quite unwilling to settle on the mesh parts of the suit, too.

It's not without a few little niggles though:

The "face" of the veil unzips separately from the usual neck zips which is quite convenient (because it's a single zip to undo so you can get a drink, for example, rather than two or even three), but the unzipped section does hang at an awkward angle when you do so, meaning it's perhaps not quite as brilliant as it might be.

It is quite heavy, though I personally don't notice this once I have it on.

Mine isn't the greatest fit, but in fairness it's no worse than any other suit I've had. People who are a bit more normally-shaped than me would probably not have an issue.

James

So after nearly passing out in 27 degree heat doing the inspections and peeling off everything (literally) and bunging all my soggy clothes and bee suit straight in the washing machine…… I’m seriously considering splashing out on a ventilated suit.
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/beekeepers-suit-poll.46490/page-4#post-821402

This season i have got a Safter bee vented jacket. Its not the best suit/jacket available but value and coolness is good. I normally wear a full sheriff suit but got this jacket for keeping in the truck and wearing when chucking boxes around or when just doing a quick check or any other time i cant be faffed with a full suit. The visibility through the veil is not as good as the big brands and the zips are metal and not as smooth to operate. but i have not been stung through it and the breeze is pleasant. At just over £40 I think it was good value

Swienty Breeze!

Attachments

• Breeze.jpg
    Breeze.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Breeze2.jpg
    Breeze2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • swientynet.jpg
    swientynet.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
Boulivo Beekeeping - cheap and very good for the money or Old Castle Hives make a great suit.

£40/150 etc

My OH convinced me to get the BBWEAR ventilated “it’s the bees knees” suit last year to deal with an extremely aggressive colony and several wasp nests. I found it not to be “the bees knees”. The sizing stated on the website (then) didn’t hold water and I had to send the suit back to have the sleeves extended. The service from them was good. The suit does keep you a lot cooler. It has sleeves that require gauntlets to prevent stinging to the wrist - which reduces the cooling. It is marketed as sting proof, but my aggressive bees stung me through it.
This year I have worn it a lot - it’s good with the above pitfalls but not worth the price in my opinion.

I'm ordering another Oz Armour to cut down the wash, dry, repeat cycle. My old BB wear suits are only used in colder conditions now, there is no way I'd last an apiary inspection in one of those.

I have a couple of the Old Castle ventilated jackets (I rarely need a full suit) they work for me although a slight breeze does make them even more comfortable in very hot weather.

For me it is the Swienty Breeze, the veil is flame resistant, and the material withstands bramble. I have an Oz Armour one as well, but it is useless against bramble which easily cuts through it. Reasons for getting stung in a vented suit, if you wear gauntlets, where it compresses the material, it makes it easier for the bees to sting.

My Oz Armour is great, After its second year it now needs some mending in places where the Velcro is coming away.

Talking of Ventilated suits, I bought the ventilated gauntlets that Thorn sell, I’ve been stung on the back of the hand when wearing them, the plastic mesh is just a mm or so too thin and Bee‘s can easily sting through it.

My OH convinced me to get the BBWEAR ventilated “it’s the bees knees” suit last year to deal with an extremely aggressive colony and several wasp nests. I found it not to be “the bees knees”. The sizing stated on the website (then) didn’t hold water and I had to send the suit back to have the sleeves extended. The service from them was good. The suit does keep you a lot cooler. It has sleeves that require gauntlets to prevent stinging to the wrist - which reduces the cooling. It is marketed as sting proof, but my aggressive bees stung me through it.
This year I have worn it a lot - it’s good with the above pitfalls but not worth the price in my opinion.
I bought the ultra suit i was a bit pissed off that the sting proof material only went to mid forearm and just below the knees ridiculous..its an expensive suit and you shouldn't have to fork out more cash for gauntlets. Can i ask
Where on the body were you stung trough suit ?

I bought the ultra suit i was a bit pissed off that the sting proof material only went to mid forearm and just below the knees ridiculous..its an expensive suit and you shouldn't have to fork out more cash for gauntlets. Can i ask
Where on the body were you stung trough suit ?
On my back, between the shoulders. One sting.
It made me think that the material itself doesn’t prevent stings if fitted close to the body - but if the suit is “Michelin Man” floppy it will.
I was pretty disappointed.

On my back, between the shoulders. One sting.
It made me think that the material itself doesn’t prevent stings if fitted close to the body - but if the suit is “Michelin Man” floppy it will.
I was pretty disappointed.
Thats not good . The material is suppose to prevent Asian hornet stings never mind bees .. Disappointed to hear that the reason i bought one is because im getting bad reactions this year after 5 years beekeeping

Thats not good . The material is suppose to prevent Asian hornet stings never mind bees .. Disappointed to hear that the reason i bought one is because im getting bad reactions this year after 5 years beekeeping
That doesn’t bode well. Having said that you may find the reaction diminishes with time. I had a pretty bad reaction a couple of years ago with hives on my legs and itchy palms and stuff, which made me nervous of getting stung, but stings since have produced only minor reactions. I hope you are ok.

I bought one of these last year and found it excellent for the price. Its a weird feeling at first getting breeze on arms and legs! Even with a vented suit, I am still trying for early and late inspections ( pre 10 and after 5) in current heat

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265153015757
What's the sizing like? I'm tall, and the bbwear large is ok everywhere except sleeve length.

Back