Bee suit gripe

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddydog

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
150+ nucs and hives
Received my new suit yesterday from one of the more premium suppliers. Used for the first time today and received a sting to the ear. Upon inspection, a number of teeth were missing from the suit zip, therefore when the hood was zipped on a gap formed.
After I sent an email I received a phonecall from the supplier basically saying it was my fault and I'd been too rough with the zip but they would repair free of charge. This is my 4th suit in nearly 10 years (all different manufacturers and varying enormously in price). For the past 5 years or so I've worn them most days in spring to autumn and have never had a zip issue other than the occasional snag - certainly no missing teeth.
Using it for the first time today there was no snagging whatsoever so it's inconceivable that I ripped the teeth out of what's supposed to be a premier quality zip.
Send away for repair or return for refund, thoughts?

Received my new suit yesterday from one of the more premium suppliers. Used for the first time today and received a sting to the ear. Upon inspection, a number of teeth were missing from the suit zip, therefore when the hood was zipped on a gap formed.
After I sent an email I received a phonecall from the supplier basically saying it was my fault and I'd been too rough with the zip but they would repair free of charge. This is my 4th suit in nearly 10 years (all different manufacturers and varying enormously in price). For the past 5 years or so I've worn them most days in spring to autumn and have never had a zip issue other than the occasional snag - certainly no missing teeth.
Using it for the first time today there was no snagging whatsoever so it's inconceivable that I ripped the teeth out of what's supposed to be a premier quality zip.
Send away for repair or return for refund, thoughts?
If you received it yesterday and the fault was there today then don't accept a repair, get a replacement or a refund. In fairness you do get what you pay for.
A zip should last longer than one day!

I would persist with the supplier.
I personally have gone to BBWear. I buy the premium suit, and is they supplied the first suit that has lasted more than a year.
I have just had two years out of it, and would last longer, but is looking a bit threadbare in places and has had a barbed wire snag. The mesh (normally the first to go on my suits) and zip has been faultless. I have got myself the same again.
Prior to BBWear, I tried a few but rarely got more than a few months out of them, and certainly less than a year.

IMHO Credit where credit is due... customer service and reputation is important to them.
If you think your supplier has reduced their quality... tell them.

I would persist with the supplier.
I personally have gone to BBWear. I buy the premium suit, and is they supplied the first suit that has lasted more than a year.
I have just had two years out of it, and would last longer, but is looking a bit threadbare in places and has had a barbed wire snag. The mesh (normally the first to go on my suits) and zip has been faultless. I have got myself the same again.
Prior to BBWear, I tried a few but rarely got more than a few months out of them, and certainly less than a year.

IMHO Credit where credit is due... customer service and reputation is important to them.
If you think your supplier has reduced their quality... tell them.
You seem a bit heavy on your bee clothes. My BBWear suit must be at least five years old, probably more, with no sign of wear. How many times a week do you wear your suit during the season?

You seem a bit heavy on your bee clothes. My BBWear suit must be at least five years old, probably more, with no sign of wear. How many times a week do you wear your suit during the season?

More then most by the sounds of it as the hives have already been opened, though I guess with 100 odd colonies one has a lot ot do.

If you received it yesterday and the fault was there today then don't accept a repair, get a replacement or a refund. In fairness you do get what you pay for.
A zip should last longer than one day!

Priced well north of £100 I too hoped to get what I paid for :) Workmanship not up to scratch appears to be the way of the world now, I'm more annoyed at being blamed!

More then most by the sounds of it as the hives have already been opened, though I guess with 100 odd colonies one has a lot ot do.
Pete's got more colonies than I have but I'd say my suit goes on most days during the season.
Needless to say no inspections yet just feeding and dealing with failures

For many years I’ve gone with Sheriff I’ve always found the quality great and years of service, always found them good on repairs/service. I just looked as had promised myself another I think I paid about £160-180 for mine I’ve just looked £237😂 will happily pay and the fencing hood veil is good for odd jobs and normal summer inspections.

Pete's got more colonies than I have but I'd say my suit goes on most days during the season.
Needless to say no inspections yet just feeding and dealing with failures
Most days indeed!

Being a rural beekeeper, I need to contend with barbed wire fences, hedgerows, and humping mucho supers of honey which takes its toll.
I try and avoid moving paving slabs in my better suits...but it happens now and again

I do wonder whether I'd be better off with a heavy duty pair of overalls and a veil

For many years I’ve gone with Sheriff I’ve always found the quality great and years of service, always found them good on repairs/service. I just looked as had promised myself another I think I paid about £160-180 for mine I’ve just looked £237😂 will happily pay and the fencing hood veil is good for odd jobs and normal summer inspections.
At that sort of money I'll stick with my Lyson round veil bee jacket. 40 pounds including vat from Damien

heavy duty pair of overalls and a veil
Depends if you have to wear it all week in a heatwave.

Two BBWear suits and two jackets have lasted 8-10 years with me in rotation. Last season a few of the zips began to jam and the hoops on two hoods came through, so they're going back for a refit. Years left in them yet.

Have one Sheriff and though there's not a lot of difference in construction - both top notch - I much prefer the BBWear because the hood stays stay apart; on the Sheriff they concertina, bringing the mesh too close to the face.

I've got a BBWear full suit and a jacket. Both have been good although the seam on the edge of the veil on the jacket has got a hole in but that should be a quick fix. My difficulty has been in finding a suit with a long enough back that I can bend over in it and the BBWear one is no better than others I've had in that respect. I'm not aware that I've got freakish proportions (and I'm only 5'9") however I always seem to find I've got sleeves that go past my hands and legs that go past my feet but when I bend over I'm getting pulled taut by the back of the suit. Anyone got any recommendations that don't involve spending even more for a custom build from Sherriff?

I've got a BBWear full suit and a jacket. Both have been good although the seam on the edge of the veil on the jacket has got a hole in but that should be a quick fix. My difficulty has been in finding a suit with a long enough back that I can bend over in it and the BBWear one is no better than others I've had in that respect. I'm not aware that I've got freakish proportions (and I'm only 5'9") however I always seem to find I've got sleeves that go past my hands and legs that go past my feet but when I bend over I'm getting pulled taut by the back of the suit. Anyone got any recommendations that don't involve spending even more for a custom build from Sherriff?
Hi get a BBwear special order suit, made to your exact measurements, the forms are on their web site. I purchase suits for our local association and we always recommend BB over cheaper versions. A couple of our members have used this service but just make sure you measure yourself correctly! As far as I can remember there is an additional charge but not excessive.

I've just checked the date label in my Sherriff Apiarist suit and it is just starting its 11th season. I have had the main zip replaced once, an ankle zip once and the veil twice but the main suit is still surviving. I've always found the Sherriff folk to be pleasant, helpful and efficient.

I am on my third suit in 40 years. The first lasted 25 odd. My present one is a sherrif.

That's just what happens with any kind of overall, dungarees are even worse. One way to prevent this slipping is a belt.

I'm not aware that I've got freakish proportions (and I'm only 5'9") however I always seem to find I've got sleeves that go past my hands and legs that go past my feet but when I bend over I'm getting pulled taut by the back of the suit. Anyone got any recommendations that don't involve spending even more for a custom build from Sherriff?
Nope! :D
I have the opposite problem, arms like a gorilla and legs like a giraffe (?!).
So to get a suit that fitted the arms and legs, I had to order a tent! :D

Latest posts

Back