Bee Repellent?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HM Honey

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I was at the apiary the other night and a new beekeeper came up to me and asked if there was any type of repellent to stop the bees from stinging during inspections.

I told him it was about preparation, slow methodical movements, weather, timing of inspections and many many more factors.

It did however get me thinking as to whether there was anything that other beekeepers used to "discourage" the bees from stinging, especially you guys that are brave enough to do it bare handed?

Olbas Oil (contains oil of cloves).

Avon Skin So Soft.. (as used by the Army)

Hi HM I was working near one of my hives a little while back. I was being inspected by several bees as it was hot I only had shorts on. I went inside and sprayed AVON skin so soft and had no further inspections so it seam to work. NO I don't sell AVON. got mine from flea bay. Andy

I find that spraying or applying nothing to the skin works really well, bees can be worked on in this kind of weather with no protection at all.

Have you ever used it while actually doing an inspection though? If so what sort of effect does it have on the bees?

I find that spraying or applying nothing to the skin works really well, bees can be worked on in this kind of weather with no protection at all.

A new beekeeper is never gonna go in bareback though. I think he was looking for something to put on his hands or suit to discourage the bees from stinging.

I have always inspected bare handed - righ tfrom my first 'taster day' at Buckfast Abbey. We were given disposable gloves, but after my first 5 mins, and finding a bee inside my suit - and being gently helped to remove smock and release bee- I had lost all my initial trepedation, and was determined to watch and react to the bees. I am lucky that as a child my Mum had alwas taught me to have respect for stinging insects - not fear, on the principle of live and let live, if you don't upset them they won't hurt you. I know it doesn't work 100% but it works enough for me!
I am in the very lucky position of having my hives in my garden, so if they don't want to play ( very infrequently) - I leave them alone.I very rarely feel that I need to have gloves on. I own gloves - and will use them if I have to if something absolutely _has_ to be done (eg rehousing a swarm) but I always start off with the expectation that they aren't going to sting - but then adapt my behaviour.

Brave lady! I'm a wimp! But one that makes sure he isn't going to get stung! Belt and braces!

The fat bee man from America suggested smearing some liquid smoke on one's arms, in passing, in one of the videos (on vous-tube). But I haven't heard about anything else so far. In any case, I'm not sure about "discouraging them from stinging". Not encouraging is probably the better approach :)

Rosemary picked fresh and rubbed like a nice old nosegay pipe tobacco in the palm of the hands will pacify most bees provided you move slowly and steadily.
I used this to find and place an AMM queen into a Jenter cage this morning....... most satisfying wearing a veil, hat, T shirt and shorts!

Here is used oil of Myristica fragrans Houtt. - officinalis L ( nutmeg), but bit expensive.. Now I remember to already mentioned somewhere on the forum..

My Daughter and her friend swear by Skin-So -Soft to repel all insects even the Mozzies. I had not thought about it for when working at the hives. The only time I have been stung is when it is my own fault. they don't like being squeezed over tightly and squashed any more than we do. The one i sat on gave me the worst dose of venom poor thing must have wondered what on earth was going on.

Brave lady! I'm a wimp! But one that makes sure he isn't going to get stung! Belt and braces!

I don't think of it as being brave - I dont want to get stung and it hurts when I do, but I don't approach an inspection with the expectation of upsetting the bees to the extent of them having a go at me, the occasional stings I do get are through my own carelessness in squashing one- or a genuine 'accident' where a bee flies into me and chooses to defend itself. If they just land on my hand or walk up my fingers I just try not to flinch, as they really tickle the palm of your hand as they walk over it :)

Although my bees are very good natured ... allow me to push them around and put up with my clumsiness I'm not quite ready for bare hands yet ! I think they would be fine but the surgical gloves just give me enough confidence to stay calm, if they chose to sting then the gloves wouuldn't stop them. I think slow, steady movements and giving them time to get out of the way (along with chatting to them about what I'm doing) goes a long way to staying sting free. Very hot in the full suit today though !

At Buckfast I do not use gloves, unless told in advance that those particular bees are cranky! Once when I was there we were approached by an older gentleman who had worked with Brother Adam, and he said they used to rub their hands with Jeyes fluid to prevent the bees from landing and stinging...only problem is you have to put up with the smell :( I don't like the idea - I think it is a sledgehammer for a nut really ...

Carbolic soap(still available ) does the trick and doesn't stink half as bad as Jeyes fluid :)
I used to visit a particular public house (among many others) on returning home my wife used to say "I see you called at the Spinners arms tonight !
This remark was made every time I'd been in there ,(I was beginning to think I was being spied on)
Come on how do you know? " Because you stink of Jeyes fluid"
The toilets were alfresco , the gents a tarred wall, gutter and grid . The landlord used to go overboard with the Jeyes fluid , so much so that you carried the stink around with you having become inured to it yourself! :)
VM

Back