Bee repellent

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, i've read that vinegar works too. (easier to buy than bottled mongoose farts, apparently).

Hi all,
Most of us on the forum try to attract bees into our bait boxes by way of lemongrass oil. What could be used to put off scout bees from wanting to set up home in places where we don't want them say in a cavity wall. I would not want to use something harmful to bees or humans. Anything tried and tested? Thanks in advance.

A piece of rag doused with diesel works well, if need be, you can tie it to a cane or rod to shift a swarm from a tree

A piece of rag doused with diesel works well, if need be, you can tie it to a cane or rod to shift a swarm from a tree

Hi rook66,
If you mean diesel fuel that is carcenogenic and do they not put petrol in hives when they need to exterminate bees? If you meant diesel perfume too expensive to use on bees! Have to stick to Lynx on that one.

I don't think vinegar will deter bees and it will dissipate rapidly anyway, I use small quantities of cider vinegar in syrup.

Have to stick to Lynx on that one.

We must remember, other similar products are available.

Chris

(Resurrecting this thread)

I have scout bees investigating gaps in the brickwork behind the drainpipe where I don't want bees. (And solitary bees but have noticed the difference. Two bait hives up. Both have interest.)

Smoked the bees behind the drainpipe then changed to water spray to try and dissuade them. Too many holes to repoint every one.

Anybody got any suggestions for natural, non-flammable bee repellants I could use to change the minds of these scouts? Cinnamon? Chilli powder?

Thanks . . . .. Ben

I have scout bees investigating gaps in the brickwork behind the drainpipe where I don't want bees. (And solitary bees but have noticed the difference. Two bait hives up. Both have interest.)

Smoked the bees behind the drainpipe then changed to water spray to try and dissuade them. Too many holes to repoint every one.

Anybody got any suggestions for natural, non-flammable bee repellants I could use to change the minds of these scouts? Cinnamon? Chilli powder?

Thanks . . . .. Ben
It's more lol work bodging instead of cutting out and repointing or rendering the brickwork. Do it right and only do it once. 😎

Anybody got any suggestions for natural, non-flammable bee repellants I could use to change the minds of these scouts?
Farmyard liquid slurry, works a treat - even better if you know of a pig farm rather than dairy 😁

Thanks . . . .. Ben
Hi Ben
Bee Quick works well have used it in chimnies and an air brick last Friday which was having lots of interest from scout bees... worked a treat. I tend to spray the area but on Friday as I could access from inside via a vent so sprayed some bits of cloth with Bee Quick and inserted them into the cavity from the inside. sealed up and left them. the bees buggered off reasonable quickly. no reports of problems over the weekend.
Steve

ps noticed T***nes no longer sell a spray bottle just a dispenser type bottle... P***es still seem have the atomiser spray bottle for sale (much more useful!!)

Last edited:

Thanks . . . .. Ben
You could try some almond extract/essence which has benzaldehyde in it (if you can't get Bee Quick in a hurry). I suppose you'd need to mix it/dilute it a bit with some water and put it in a spray bottle or the like.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/278533335

Thanks . . . .. Ben
Finely chopped mint in warmed coconut oil, mixed in a jar, it will revert to semi solid when cooled and store for ever. I use it on my hands as bee repellent

Last edited:
Back