Bee poo on house windows and cars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you follow BS Honey Bees /Daniel Bates on Twitter he recently posted a letter from the council threating formal action as a statutory nuisance following a complaint about bee poo. Some serious clipboard wielding going on there by the officer involved!
Not sure it would stand up to appeal if they did serve a notice but who knows?
Washing hung out on an early spring day seemed a favourite target when I had bees in the garden.
Sh1t happens.
Look forward to them proving beyond reasonable doubt that it was his bees and not a ferral colony!

Something I've never seen mentioned here or elsewhere is the problem of bee poo raining down on a wide area around the hives.
My hives are 50m away from the house but the windows (and anything around)are continually dotted with orange waxy blobs that are difficult for the window cleaner to remove. Even worse my car (and probably those of neighbours) is often covered with them if I don't put it in the garage. It was terrible last year when there was a field of OSR in front of the house, but it's still annoying. Doesn't anyone else notice this?
It is a problem and can only be remedy by having less bees or no bees. The upside is that ground around the hives is the moist fertile land in the area with a few hundred thousand bees dyeing as well with the potash being spread around as well.

I had a dismal bit of grass on the verge in front of the house a few years ago and after few years and the bees in the garden. You should see the luscious grass now.

It the fashion to slab the garden now-er days and warm the planet who needs wildlife anyway Its jest gets in the way There is plenty of food in the Supermarket who needs the wild life and the countryside anyway ?

If you follow BS Honey Bees /Daniel Bates on Twitter he recently posted a letter from the council threating formal action as a statutory nuisance following a complaint about bee poo. Some serious clipboard wielding going on there by the officer involved!
Not sure it would stand up to appeal if they did serve a notice but who knows?
Washing hung out on an early spring day seemed a favourite target when I had bees in the garden.
Sh1t happens.
These people are not capable of puting the washing out overnight ?

Talking of birds.......is anybody seeing Skeins of geese honking their way to other climes?
I haven't seen any. Previous years the autumn sky has been resplendent with a hundred or more birds at a time on occasion.
Are they all succumbing to bird flu? Is it too warm for them to be thinking of moving to winter pastures?
Talking of geese.........for several years we've had a goose for Christmas from a local free-range farm. None available this year because of avian flu.

Years ago we had a small front garden which was used by a neighbour's cat as a latrine. I found putting dried up thistles across the areas they favoured. It worked a treat and the neighbour, a harmless enough elderly soul had no idea what i was up to!!
I have found that using the galvanised pegs upside down does deter them but it's tedious to do all the exposed soil...

Latest posts

Back