Bee Lining

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plenty of honey

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
260 + (Nucs and Honey production)
Hachi sent me a pm, asking if i knew much about this ancient art and i thought it would make a great thread!!
I have tried it myself but its not easy and you really need this neat little box.
Has anyone tried it before?. Its very cool way of finding a wild or feral colony.

https://youtu.be/uASGkB65GzY

I really like how this guy explains about the box and he says excuse the carpentry!! well it looks damn fine to me!!

Theres another article, with beelining boxes in diagrams in this link:
http://northernwoodlands.org/articles/article/bee-lining-the-oldtimers-way-to-find-wild-beehives

Theres a few been done that explain the theory can anyone add any tips or how they made their box, this is a fascinating and skilful occupation, another one of the many beekeeping wonders. The box on your mantle piece would be a great talking point alone.
Why would you want to find a feral colony these days i know thats your next question, well swarm traps and knowing positions of AMM stock is always helpful when trying to establish a mating station. I find this fascinating.

I suspect Tom Seeley's new book should have quite a few wrinkles in it. I have a book on beekeeping in Southern Africa which has a whole chapter covering the subject

isbn number, would be interested to read that!!

Following the Wild Bees: The Craft and Science of Bee Hunting .
To be released on 26th of April this year - it's on amazon at the moment although you've missed the bargain price of £10.95 which they were selling it preorder last week no idea what the isbn number is.

Isbn is a unique number code for all books, it will be inside the cover or page 2 or 3, u

Isbn is a unique number code for all books, it will be inside the cover or page 2 or 3, u

I know that - but not having the book to hand (as it ain't released yet) and no time to look up the number for you I think the point towards Amazon was as good :D

I know that - but not having the book to hand (as it ain't released yet) and no time to look up the number for you I think the point towards Amazon was as good :D

Oops misunderstood your post:cheers2:

Point towards amazon was great, Thanks. and will pre order it, when i will get a chance to read it is another thing!!

Latest posts

Back