bee keeping essentials - any ideas!?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manipl.jpg

Heavy canvas with stainless steel rods sewn into the edges to weight the cloth down. The centre section can be folded over to close or folded back to allow a frame to be taken out. Slide across to expose other frames.

Used to keep most of the colony in the dark, and in theory quiet, while frames are taken out. Quite easy to make (I believe) but a handy tool if the colony is hell bent on taking you down.

If you wanted to you could do a homemade version of this. you will need:-
2 cotton Glass cloths
2 old fashioned wire coathangers
cotton and needle.

unbend the 2 coathangers, stitch them into the short sides of the 2 glass clothes, with a gap between. hay presto much cheaper than a shop bought one and you will be thought of more than just buying it.

Depending on your budget:

A stainless steel double strainer. (<£15 now in Th**rnes sale)
A small bottling tank (< £100 for a good one if you shop around)

Or if the thought counts more than the cost, why not design a personalised honey label and get them printed somewhere.

(Re-)Check the spelling on the side - it's not even a Defender (check the reg - it pre-dates them!)

Pimped or what? :coolgleamA:

WTF - the only difference between that one and mine is -

Colour
Reg
position of the petrol inlet.
position of the snorkel (mines on the other side but it can go either side)
My Landy gril tags been nicked
I have defender on the bonnet. But thats variable too.

so what is it if it aint a defender 90?

If you wanted to you could do a homemade version of this. you will need:-
2 cotton Glass cloths
2 old fashioned wire coathangers
cotton and needle.

unbend the 2 coathangers, stitch them into the short sides of the 2 glass clothes, with a gap between. hay presto much cheaper than a shop bought one and you will be thought of more than just buying it.

2nd generation development of this: tea-towels stapled onto heavy cardboard tubes, joined together by long loop of knicker elastic. Might sound mad but actually works really well and I just rip the staples out to launder cloths, then re-staple. Tubes are heavier than coat-hanger metal so stay in situ, and elastic allows for a bit of pulling and shoving if necessary. Tested all Summer against coathanger model and is what I shall be using next year.

WTF - the only difference between that one and mine is -

Colour
Reg
position of the petrol inlet.
position of the snorkel (mines on the other side but it can go either side)
My Landy gril tags been nicked
I have defender on the bonnet. But thats variable too.

so what is it if it aint a defender 90?

Oops - humble apologies not worthy

Talking through my brood box :blush5:

LMAO - dont be sorry - I am relieved. If that was fake ...... so is mine lol :smilielol5:

hmmm yes - i like it! i'll get 3 and we'll all have one each!

you can make a landrover out of cardboard tubes and coathangers? that is impressive - you should be on blue peter! :)
you lot are funny, i like it here!

AND it says "Buy 36 - 9,999 and get an additional 18 % off". Bargain! Presumably it goes up to full price if you want 10,000?
I had already tried putting in the numbers. 9,999 failed because it exceeded the stock. My estimation of the site went up, although they have problems writing sales pitches. I leave it open to anyone else to work out their actual stock level by throwing numbers at the web page. :)

Last edited:
you can make a landrover out of cardboard tubes and coathangers? that is impressive - you should be on blue peter! :)
you lot are funny, i like it here!
The ones I drove years ago were largely made of baler twine as I recall. Use traditional materials! :)

Back