Bee imports post IWD

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 i can think of in North Wales.

As for beekeeping in my view the best way to go would be to formalise a mentorship scheme. I had the enormous benefit of considerable mentoring by a very successful BF. As the colonies numbers rise, funded by sales please note, then the knowledge base widens. Organic growth is the best way to go, safer and if it goes horribly wrong there are owned assets to sell off.

PH

Makes perfect sense to me. I tagged along with a good small beefarmer who gave me my first. A few years later. I put just over £6k into making a jump to 25 colonies. 3 yrs later at 118 colonies and theyve paid for themselves( plus pocket money)

Makes perfect sense to me. I tagged along with a good small beefarmer who gave me my first. A few years later. I put just over £6k into making a jump to 25 colonies. 3 yrs later at 118 colonies and theyve paid for themselves( plus pocket money)

How did you get storehouses and such things.

As for beekeeping in my view the best way to go would be to formalise a mentorship scheme.

The beefarmers association has done just this really, it is called the apprenticeship scheme, aimed at 16 to 21 year olds, in the case of my youngest son he would of by law had to stay on at school wasting his time for another two years, if he could not get an apprenticeship.

The apprenticeship is not just mentoring on how to look after bees though, there is class work to do on the block release periods... then one file computer work, to be done every day for three years, mostly relevant to beefarming and running a beefarming business, things like the practical hands on side of beekeeping, marketing, employment, health and safety, food hygiene (including getting their certificates) disease, risk assessments, studying flowers/ forage sources, how the flowers work... the list goes on and on, plus never ending tests from their separate mentors, even the beefarmer employing has to have a mentor...and at the end they get the certificate/qualification, providing they have done the work up to the standard required, same as any other apprenticeship.

Last edited:
How did you get storehouses and such things.
It came free with the first out apiary i was offered, but i did already have a stone barn. That said ive found pretty much unlimited storage since for virtually nothing.

The beefarmers association has done just this really, it is called the apprenticeship scheme, aimed at 16 to 21 year olds, in the case of my youngest son he would of by law had to stay on at school wasting his time for another two years, if he could not get an apprenticeship.

The apprenticeship is not just mentoring on how to look after bees though, there is class work to do on the block release periods... then one file computer work, to be done every day for three years, mostly relevant to beefarming and running a beefarming business, things like the practical hands on side of beekeeping, marketing, employment, health and safety, food hygiene (including getting their certificates) disease, risk assessments, studying flowers/ forage sources, how the flowers work... the list goes on and on, plus never ending tests from their separate mentors, even the beefarmer employing has to have a mentor...and at the end they get the certificate/qualification, providing they have done the work up to the standard required, same as any other apprenticeship.

Do not forget that all of the above are transferable skills.... even if the qualified apprentice has to seek employment in another sector to stash away enough funds to set up later in their chosen profession.

Chons da

Do not forget that all of the above are transferable skills.... even if the qualified apprentice has to seek employment in another sector to stash away enough funds to set up later in their chosen profession.

Chons da

Very difficult to get the job if you do not have ready skills to the exact Job.

The beekeeper's best virtue is that he is always right. Not very good attitude in normal work.

Back