Bee imports continue to rise

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also much higher if buying breeder stock from Isolated mating sites to breed your own stock from.

Yes but likely to be in the tens and low hundreds on volumes rather than thousands..

Probably low hundreds, but yes most likely "open mated" imports are destined for production colonies and not for breeding further queens from.

I suspect a lot lower than that in volume..

At our breeders they cost 10 euros.. But don't be affraid they show no interest to export since they can't cover local needs.. No worth of fuss to export. Also breeders get generous subsidies from goverment..
Even is so low price the most queens I grow by myself.. Somehow.. I relly on my skills the most.. To be polite..

Last edited:
The main reason for the increase is a tightening up of procedures and thus improved reporting, not a real rise in numbers coming in. Statistics can SEEM to show anything you want them to.

A few points arise throughout the thread.

Packages officially reported from Italy actually represent little threat. They are produced nearer to Dover than to SHB. Its a LONG country. The Italian authorities a scrupulous and every consignment that has traces documents is carefully checked. Have seen them in there shining torches all over the cages bottoms looking for anything untoward. They have an important trade to protect and are fussier than anyone at this end. Once in the UK a bee inspector will see each and every one of them and a full list of recipients is provided to the NBU, and if they have more than 10 they are individually certificated.

The danger is the cheap unofficial ones...being sold from the south of Italy and rebadged. They arrive here stated to be French or even Greek, and there is little can be done to tell them from what they are stated to be. If they are cheap be very wary. There are ads in the German bee press warning of this very link.

Queen prices? well there are some very cheap queens available out there but if you want bees selected from and raised for northern use then 15 euros at source is about the best you will get...........and once the shipper has covered losses and transport....if you get them under 20 quid you are doing very well.

Also....the statistics do, as pointed out, ONLY cover those reported from third countries, and from the EU those that have had TRACES documents supplied.

Its also not confidential...these figures are all on the public pages on BeeBase. this story is no scoop or revelation. If you are able to sign in you can also see consignment details.

One incident took place at Milan Malpensa last summer when a consignment of queens was found and checked on. That caused a full check of their system and they found consignments totalling 1200 queens....and that was on one day in one shipping company in one airport.... and only 200 had TRACES. NONE were headed for the UK, and this is only a story as related to me by one of my Italian contacts. This was a private company's check, not an official one, triggered by a new manager who saw the bees and enforced the company's 'no livestock' policy. Only 17% with papers, the rest 'dark' shipments.

As one with a foot in both camps, rearing a large number of home bred queens, I think I can reflect reasonably fairly on what goes on. It is NOT practical in a UK setting to cover all bases from home produced stock. Put your amateur hat on and it seems simple (hence a lot of 'holier than thou' statements that come out on this subject) but it is actually far from it. Many people depend on their bees for a living..and many farmers depend on the timed supply of bees for their pollination. In many parts of the UK this means the bees are needed before UK supplies are available, and, overwintered nucs apart, UK supplies are more for establishing colonies for overwintering...a gamble in itself.....than for a full crop first year. Whether some roll their eyes back at that or not, its a hard necessity if your roof over your head depends on it. Only this morning I was talking with someone who is bringing in 100 5 bar nucs on combs from the EU in April as its the only way they can get the bees they need at a time and price that is viable. Will they show up on BeeBase? We will have to wait and see.

Hard question. You need queens (or packages) to get colonies going in order for them to get you some honey to pay your bills later in the year. Which of these do you prefer?

1. Imported stock which, if you are selective, can be here by late April, bred from bees from and for a northern environment. They are fully inspected, both at source, during preparation, and again after arrival. They are 40 to 60% of the price of option 2.

2. UK produced stock which is without official inspection or certificate, and only if overwintered nucs will it be available in time for a crop that year. They may in fact be bred from imported breeder queens, buyer needs to check. (Nothing wrong with that btw, the top UK queen producer uses imported mothers.) you cannot get a firm delivery date, and orders are often weeks late in arriving. Sometimes never.

If you need to be reliable and viable which do you go for?

Colouring my judgement on this is that only about half of the times I have ordered from UK producers have I had an order supplied in full and within a week of expected date, and these were small numbers too. Some orders never arrived, poor mating conditions cited as reason, and one June order rolled up in September...or rather I told them I could not use them when they told me they were ready to send about 10th Sept.

Also have discussed matters with other breeders/producers. (We had 1400 queens and have 630 nucs overwintering for use and sale so are at the sharp end on this.) The reality is that when everybody wants the queens/nucs supplies (early season) they are either unavailable or very restricted in supply. When you have plentiful supplies there are few customers, as they have them themselves by that time. That's the nub of the issue when YOUR production season is exactly the same as the clients you seek to supply. Makes a viable UK breeding business pretty problematical.

Then there are UK prices....£40+ for a queen, 200 to 280 for a nuc. What is the true cost against a package or nuc in spring from the EU? My associate is paying £95 for his nucs next spring, although he has to ship them which adds another 15 pounds, so £110. You buy a UK nuc, say at 200 pounds, you have to feed it, treat it, and take wintering risks. Feeding and medication will add at least 20 pounds management costs...allow another 10...takes you to 230..and then allow for 10% not making it (reasonable) and you have a true cost of £255 per spring colony against £110...AND he is getting a good grade of carnica for his money. Its a no brainer on money grounds.

However, having said all that, I personally do not like importing bees on combs and do not do so. Its been done plenty however.

Those with long memories will be able to recall the Co-op thread from several years ago when the use of imported packages (even though from a very high health provenance) got a lot of flak and various UK producers were suggested to me instead. They were twice the price (or more) and without health certificates. Three of these producers supplied bees to others that year carrying foulbrood, and at least two of them supplied stock with AFB. Would have been a VERY VERY expensive bonfire. Its all a bit of a minefield.

Sorry for the long post but this is a subject that raises its head on a cyclical pattern. As someone who has invested 6 figures in home production of queens and nucs I can assure all who think otherwise that its not as easy as they think.

Last edited:
Have just fielded a phone call about the above post. How do I KNOW that the import figures are not rising? Well to be honest as far as I know there are no recorded statistics on 'under the radar' imports BUT from my contacts in Italy and France they think the number is actually going down but that TRACES are being done on far more of them than before, when the importer often did not want the hassle and opted for no paperwork...less red tape at both ends. Thus my information must be categorised as anecdotal.

By itself, that is a very weak analysis.

If the overall demand for bees has increased by a greater proportion than the increases you are reporting, then you are simply wrong.

The figures by themselves just as easily support the case that disenchantment with learning to be a proper (improvement) beekeeper is increasing, with a corresponding decline in the standard of beekeeping.

I though prefixing it with "seems" would give the irony away.... but no, there's always one thick paddle out there.
Can't argue that there are more imports than ever, for whatever reasons.
Sorry I'll rephrase that....most of you won't disagree that the figures say there are more reported imports than ever before :D

The main reason for the increase is a tightening up of procedures and thus improved reporting, not a real rise in numbers coming in. Statistics can SEEM to show anything you want them to.

Packages officially reported from Italy actually represent little threat. They are produced nearer to Dover than to SHB. Its a LONG country. The Italian authorities a scrupulous and every consignment that has traces documents is carefully checked. Have seen them in there shining torches all over the cages bottoms looking for anything untoward. They have an important trade to protect and are fussier than anyone at this end. Once in the UK a bee inspector will see each and every one of them and a full list of recipients is provided to the NBU, and if they have more than 10 they are individually certificated.

The danger is the cheap unofficial ones...being sold from the south of Italy and rebadged. They arrive here stated to be French or even Greek, and there is little can be done to tell them from what they are stated to be. If they are cheap be very wary. There are ads in the German bee press warning of this very link.

Queen prices? well there are some very cheap queens available out there but if you want bees selected from and raised for northern use then 15 euros at source is about the best you will get...........and once the shipper has covered losses and transport....if you get them under 20 quid you are doing very well.

Also....the statistics do, as pointed out, ONLY cover those reported from third countries, and from the EU those that have had TRACES documents supplied.

Its also not confidential...these figures are all on the public pages on BeeBase. this story is no scoop or revelation. If you are able to sign in you can also see consignment details.

One incident took place at Milan Malpensa last summer when a consignment of queens was found and checked on. That caused a full check of their system and they found consignments totalling 1200 queens....and that was on one day in one shipping company in one airport.... and only 200 had TRACES. NONE were headed for the UK, and this is only a story as related to me by one of my Italian contacts. This was a private company's check, not an official one, triggered by a new manager who saw the bees and enforced the company's 'no livestock' policy. Only 17% with papers, the rest 'dark' shipments.

As one with a foot in both camps, rearing a large number of home bred queens, I think I can reflect reasonably fairly on what goes on. It is NOT practical in a UK setting to cover all bases from home produced stock. Put your amateur hat on and it seems simple (hence a lot of 'holier than thou' statements that come out on this subject) but it is actually far from it. Many people depend on their bees for a living..and many farmers depend on the timed supply of bees for their pollination. In many parts of the UK this means the bees are needed before UK supplies are available, and, overwintered nucs apart, UK supplies are more for establishing colonies for overwintering...a gamble in itself.....than for a full crop first year. Whether some roll their eyes back at that or not, its a hard necessity if your roof over your head depends on it. Only this morning I was talking with someone who is bringing in 100 5 bar nucs on combs from the EU in April as its the only way they can get the bees they need at a time and price that is viable. Will they show up on BeeBase? We will have to wait and see.

Hard question. You need queens (or packages) to get colonies going in order for them to get you some honey to pay your bills later in the year. Which of these do you prefer?

1. Imported stock which, if you are selective, can be here by late April, bred from bees from and for a northern environment. They are fully inspected, both at source, during preparation, and again after arrival. They are 40 to 60% of the price of option 2.

2. UK produced stock which is without official inspection or certificate, and only if overwintered nucs will it be available in time for a crop that year. They may in fact be bred from imported breeder queens, buyer needs to check. (Nothing wrong with that btw, the top UK queen producer uses imported mothers.) you cannot get a firm delivery date, and orders are often weeks late in arriving. Sometimes never.

Colouring my judgement on this is that only about half of the times I have ordered from UK producers have I had an order supplied in full and within a week of expected date, and these were small numbers too. Some orders never arrived, poor mating conditions cited as reason, and one June order rolled up in September...or rather I told them I could not use them when they told me they were ready to send about 10th Sept.

Also have discussed matters with other breeders/producers. (We had 1400 queens and have 630 nucs overwintering for use and sale so are at the sharp end on this.) The reality is that when everybody wants the queens/nucs supplies (early season) they are either unavailable or very restricted in supply. When you have plentiful supplies there are few customers, as they have them themselves by that time. That's the nub of the issue when YOUR production season is exactly the same as the clients you seek to supply. Makes a viable UK breeding business pretty problematical.

Then there are UK prices....£40+ for a queen, 200 to 280 for a nuc. What is the true cost against a package or nuc in spring from the EU? My associate is paying £95 for his nucs next spring, although he has to ship them which adds another 15 pounds, so £110. You buy a UK nuc, say at 200 pounds, you have to feed it, treat it, and take wintering risks. Feeding and medication will add at least 20 pounds management costs...allow another 10...takes you to 230..and then allow for 10% not making it (reasonable) and you have a true cost of £255 per spring colony against £110...AND he is getting a good grade of carnica for his money. Its a no brainer on money grounds.

However, having said all that, I personally do not like importing bees on combs and do not do so. Its been done plenty however.

Those with long memories will be able to recall the Co-op thread from several years ago when the use of imported packages (even though from a very high health provenance) got a lot of flak and various UK producers were suggested to me instead. They were twice the price (or more) and without health certificates. Three of these producers supplied bees to others that year carrying foulbrood, and at least two of them supplied stock with AFB. Would have been a VERY VERY expensive bonfire. Its all a bit of a minefield.

Sorry for the long post but this is a subject that raises its head on a cyclical pattern. As someone who has invested 6 figures in home production of queens and nucs I can assure all who think otherwise that its not as easy as they think.

No apology needed. I love your posts - they are a reaL education and well balance and free from any hint of having a pop at fellow beekeepers.

I’ve followed this thread with great interest having had experience of only one imported queen. Thanks ITLD for an informed and lucid account of what us really going on.

Have just fielded a phone call about the above post. How do I KNOW that the import figures are not rising? Well to be honest as far as I know there are no recorded statistics on 'under the radar' imports BUT from my contacts in Italy and France they think the number is actually going down but that TRACES are being done on far more of them than before, when the importer often did not want the hassle and opted for no paperwork...less red tape at both ends. Thus my information must be categorised as anecdotal.

A very measured and sensible post Murray .. I'd very much like the UK to be free of any sort of agricultural imports - we've destroyed our Ash and Elm trees thanks, mainly, to imported soil .. there are scores of examples of our flora, fauna and livestock being affected by foreign imports - legal, illegal and accidental but .. the reality is that when there is a domestic demand for a product and a shortage of supply the domestic price will go up and globalisation then makes foreign imports often advantageous in terms of both cost and continuity of supply. As Hobbyist beekeeper I can afford to avoid foreign imports but I can see that the demands of a commercial organisation simply don't have the luxury that I have - the only pressure on my beekeeping is turning a small loss into a slightly bigger loss most of the time ... but it's a hobby not a business !

I think that the control of imported bees (and other livestock) really needs to be as tight as the current biosecurity we see in our own farming .. if there are grey imports it's time these channels are well and truly closed and penalties that hurt applied to those who attempt to bypass the system.

. I'd very much like the UK to be free of any sort of agricultural imports - we've destroyed our Ash and Elm trees thanks, mainly, to imported soil .. there are scores of examples of our flora, fauna and livestock being affected by foreign imports - legal, illegal and accidental ..

back to being a hunter-gatherer then?!

Its been a steady reported increase in imported queens since 2011, up and down before then. Either numbers imported have increased and/or, as you think, its been a steady rise in efficiency of the bureaucracy and paper chasing of the EU.
Perhaps both.
There has been a large increase in the numbers of UK hobby beekeeper numbers in the last 10 years as noted in increased membership of the BBKA.

2017-15,210 batched number of queen
2016-13,801
2015-10,434
2014-9,782
2013-8625
2012-7741
2011-4163
2010-7,291
2008-5606
2007-7741

back to being a hunter-gatherer then?!

I'm halfway there already .... nothing beats free food from the landscape or stuff you've grown yourself ! A long way off self sufficient - indeed, I'm not at the compost toilet and woven willow sandals stage but there's a lot you can do without becoming a 17th century re-enacter.

pargyle;611987 .. I'd very much like the UK to be free of any sort of agricultural imports - [/QUOTE said:
Sorry to say this Pargyle but the UK has been dependent upon agricultural imports for centuries. More than 50% of our food is imported.. The same problems became a political one in the 19th century when the Corn Laws limited corn imports so UK food prices boomed. Not too good is you were a labourer but great if you were a farmer. The Corn Laws were repealed in 1846 and food prices fell - eventually see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_Laws#Effects_of_repeal

Practically there is little alternative unless we want food prices to double or treble and monoculture increase...dramatically..(Goodbye bees)

We would need a bl**dy big fence around the UK to stop anything blowing in on the wind!!

Not sure what you are going to gain with early imports of Queens or packages?
On another thread you said you have 3000 production colonies(?). If your winter losses are say 10% that's 300 colonies you need to make up in spring. Surely you can make these up just as quick if not quicker from your own over-wintered nucs rather than import queens or packages?
By anticipating the winter losses it would be more sustainable to raise your own nucs as replacements?
By importing queens to increase your stock rather than to improve your genetics I presume the motivation is purely financial?

Not sure what you are going to gain with early imports of Queens or packages?
On another thread you said you have 3000 production colonies(?). If your winter losses are say 10% that's 300 colonies you need to make up in spring. Surely you can make these up just as quick if not quicker from your own over-wintered nucs rather than import queens or packages?
By anticipating the winter losses it would be more sustainable to raise your own nucs as replacements?
By importing queens to increase your stock rather than to improve your getics I presume the motivation is purely financial?

Most businesses are run for financial gain - I think that is clear and honest in ITLD post.

Looks like some are at a bit of a loss regarding bee reality.

PH

All of my bees are Italian :spy:

And I must say I'm very pleased with them. In a season of drought so bad that we had water rationing and many crops were just written off, they found enough to feed themselves and give me a few jars for personal use.
And even when they were struggling to find food they never were aggressive. A pleasure to inspect.

Then again... this is where they evolved, it's their home, so I shouldn't be surprised.

I'm excited for the next season which will be my first full season, and it's already shaping up to be much wetter than the last (could hardly be drier...)

There has been a large increase in the numbers of UK hobby beekeeper numbers in the last 10 years as noted in increased membership of the BBKA.

The BBKA membership HAS swollen over the last 10 years.
The BBKA had a huge publicity campaign to attract numbers into the BBKA ranks in 2008. Estimated figures suggests membership numbers are down over the last three years.
Would this also mean there are less beekeepers? I am not convinced the membership numbers can be directly linked to the number of UK Beekeepers.

There are those that give up (for whatever reason) but keep their membership running, those that support beekeeping but do not actually keep bees, family members, but this can again be offset by those that have too many bees.

I was never allowed to join. Do members get 'kicked out' if having too many?
It was once suggested I fiddle the system by enroling my family to reduce my overall number of colonys.... eermm.. no!

The government report published a month ago admitted there are large gaps in the reporting of bee numbers, but states there is an overall decline in all pollinators, including honeybees.
The top three reasons for the decline in one of the partner papers published by the RHS is Varroa, diseases and 'neglect by the beekeeper'.

You will have short term peaks caused by publicity and fads, and troughs caused bad winters, boredom and giving up after wipe outs.

Insufficiant data and statistics can be massaged to create any result you choose.

I have heard a lot about people replacing their queen as early as possible every year, including as a method to prevent swarming. For suppliers, imports are the only way to supply the demand.
Personally, I let HM reign as long as she is fit. I have a number of 2014 queens that have served me well this year (but rarely make a 4th term).

Last edited:
A very measured and sensible post Murray .. I'd very much like the UK to be free of any sort of agricultural imports - we've destroyed our Ash and Elm trees thanks, mainly, to imported soil .. there are scores of examples of our flora, fauna and livestock being affected by foreign imports - legal, illegal and accidental but .. the reality is that when there is a domestic demand for a product and a shortage of supply the domestic price will go up and globalisation then makes foreign imports often advantageous in terms of both cost and continuity of supply. As Hobbyist beekeeper I can afford to avoid foreign imports but I can see that the demands of a commercial organisation simply don't have the luxury that I have - the only pressure on my beekeeping is turning a small loss into a slightly bigger loss most of the time ... but it's a hobby not a business !

I think that the control of imported bees (and other livestock) really needs to be as tight as the current biosecurity we see in our own farming .. if there are grey imports it's time these channels are well and truly closed and penalties that hurt applied to those who attempt to bypass the system.

So you would like to see an end to all agricultural imports.How about over billions and billions of british exports to over 200 overseas countries.would you like to see that come to an end also,or is it the old cake and eat it scenario.

Latest posts

Back