Bee hive plans

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Select which of the frame types you wish to use
and add beespace (9mm) to reach the internal dimensenions.
Insulate the lid (foam to 40mm).
Add in ventilation to upper and undercarriage support to the
bottomboard.

Bill

Crackers! What type of hive do you want to build?

National?
Langstroth?
Top Bar?
Warre?
Rose?
More!

All of these have available plans, but you need to decide what you are going to build first!

Depending on what hive you want to build look at if your time/effort is worth it

I make my own because as a carpenter wood is free and I enjoy doing it. But making nationals for a hobby and buying the timber is not worth it.

Last edited:
Crackers! What type of hive do you want to build?

National?
Langstroth?
Top Bar?
Warre?
Rose?
More!

All of these have available plans, but you need to decide what you are going to build first!

Im based if Fife Scotland, and very keen to get involved in bee keeping, and the saving of these fascinating creatures.

Any advice would be great.

Im not sure what is required, and where?

As i have my own woodcraft business it would be easy for me to mass produce if needed. So just gauging the needs at this moment in time.

Regards alex

Depending on what hive you want to build look at if your time/effort is worth it

I make my own because as a carpenter wood is free and I enjoy doing it. But making nationals for a hobby and buying the timber is not worth it.

Im in the same position, where i have timber available around my main stay of Racing pigeon products.

I dont necessarily want it to be my main product. Just want to be able to help where i can.

Regards alex

I would suggest Langstroth for ease of making. Dovetail the corners, router out hand holds on all four sides. I used to biscuit join three planks together on it's cheaper that way basis and rip to size.

Then ponder cosys for Winter.

PH

I would suggest Langstroth for ease of making. Dovetail the corners, router out hand holds on all four sides. I used to biscuit join three planks together on it's cheaper that way basis and rip to size.

PH

Thank you very much.

i,ll have a look at these, and see what i can come up with.

Regards alex

PH

I agree that Langstroth are easy to make. Michael Palmer changed from the box joint to the rebate joint (rabbet joint in USA) because the boxes last longer, plus it's easier to make.

Latest posts

Back