Bee behaviour I;ve not seen before

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elaine

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi - I'm new to bee keeping, and would like some advice on what my bees were doing this evening:

Around 8pm they were flying in and out as normal - but by about 9pm, there seemed to be a row of guards spaced out along the hive entrance, with a further row of bees lined up behind - seemingly interrogating all arrivals!
I normally but the mouse guard in at night to keep them warm and to reduce the size of the entrance for them to guard - and I did that as usual tonight, but I've just checked them and the entrance is still full of bees milling about. I've never seen them doing that before.

Should I be worried? :)

if you use open mesh floors mouse guards will make no difference to the internal temperature. In warm weather you can get bees over the front of the hive even after dark.

Hi - I'm new to bee keeping, and would like some advice on what my bees were doing this evening:

Around 8pm they were flying in and out as normal - but by about 9pm, there seemed to be a row of guards spaced out along the hive entrance, with a further row of bees lined up behind - seemingly interrogating all arrivals!
I normally but the mouse guard in at night to keep them warm and to reduce the size of the entrance for them to guard - and I did that as usual tonight, but I've just checked them and the entrance is still full of bees milling about. I've never seen them doing that before.

Should I be worried? :)

Not guards, but fanners. In this heat a serious amount of temp regulation is required - there is a chance that they could bee doing it all night.

A mouse guard is a waste of time at the moment - remove it.

Ben P

I agree - they are just 'chilling out' on the veranda wondering what 'that big white' thing is going to do next

Yep - fanning. Mine were doing the same. It's been very warm outside today. Imagine the heat inside a wooden box.

Yep - fanning. Mine were doing the same. It's been very warm outside today. Imagine the heat inside a wooden box.

:iagree: - & hopefully drying down some honey too.

Aww, it's like tucking them up for bed :) You must be the same type of beekeeper as me then, a soft one :)

Welcome to the forum, and glad you are enjoying the bees :)

On this note....On a very warm day (like today) & the bees are visibly in discomfort i.e. dozens of them flying in front of the entrance & others fanning - is it acceptable to help by lifting off the roof leaving the crown board in place, until the inside temp. drops a bit?
Correct or not, I did it today & within 10-15 minutes they all went back in to get on with making honey, etc.

Don't know just make sure they have enough space to do what they do do best without to much interference

being a bit green myself i had the same problem
They would be out all night on the front of the hive. Then i realised (through helpful advice on here) that i had left the varroa floor in. This obviously make it harder for air to circulate.. Taking it out yesterday they were all inside last night so it seems thay may have been getting a bit warm.

. dozens of them flying in front of the entrance

These are possibly just "young" bees taking advantage of the lovely weather to take orientation flights, especially if the weather hasnt been too good in the days before this fine weather - rained all day Saturday here. So saw lots of bees doing this Sunday and Monday.

Hi - and thanks for all your comments - and to correct myself - it's not a mouse guard - just a restricted 'door'.

I got them as a 5-frame nuc in May - not long before it went really cold, so have been feeding, and tucking them in at night :) to help them build up numbers and stores, and now the hot weather has started, they are really going for it!

Latest posts

Back