Bee and Equipment Auction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moggs

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I'm tempted to bimble along to the Gloucester Beeks' Bee auction. I recall reports from previous years but would anybody like to recount their experiences here? I seem to remember that there were few bargains to be had. Worth a trip?

worth a trip yes. Bit of a mixed lot as is usual with auctions some stuff fit only for burning (but still sold) and some good bargains as well. Shame I cant make it.

Thanks Veg - nothing ventured, nothing gained, as the saying goes. Close enough to warrant a visit. Watch this space...

I hope to make it myself. Strange how different people have differing perceptions on 'bargains'.
I saw an OLD extractor go last year for less than a fiver, but what could it be used for ???:rules:

My view of auctions was that everyone (except the buyer, usually) must think that he paid too much for the thing.

Have since had a chat with one of the contacts from the webby thing. He reports (not surprisingly) a limited offering of bees which will no doubt be in great demand, especially by wannabeeks. A good alternative to pulling weeds, whichever way I look at it.

My view of auctions was that everyone (except the buyer, usually) must think that he paid too much for the thing.

Interesting observation, and whats your new view ?

auction/sale report anyone...........?

Oh well save me buying somebody else's tat and keep SWMBO happy
S

Luckily it will also save you from having been soaked like the rest of us there today. Bright blue sky one minute, hail the next - oh the joy of the British summer. :banghead:

Went to the Teifiside BKA auction (a bit closer for me) I would say a roomful of bargains (apart from the bees which were a bit over the price) bought a complete WBC six lifts four supers and a brood box with OMF floor - the only bit that will need (minimal), attention. Cousin's wife (they turned up as well) bought one with four lifts but missing a floor, for garden ornaments more than a working hive (but you never know) , sum total for both ? fifty quid! The hives were the first lots so unfortunately (or maybe not so!) there wasn't much room for anything else in the jeep as I ended taking both of them home. Lilian got a coup[le of decent National hives as well so their car was packed. Cedar Ashforth feeders a fiver each! Enjoyable day was had by all I think

Quick report from Gloucester BKA auction.
Plenty of lots, and in my opinion an above average number of new items made specially for the sale-which sold mostly at knockdown prices.
Honey also sold ridiculously cheaply if you wanted a 50 kg tub !

Some 19 lots of live bees in great demand and which sold for what I consider almost ridiculously high prices. Even Nuc's fetching £190 + , full brood boxes way over the 200 mark.
A good day, but somewhat spoiled by the frequent heavy showers and cool wind.

Congrats to the GBKA for a very well organised event !!

Great day at the auction,

My report is

50lb tubes of honey didn't make the reserve (it was my friends)

Frames were knock down price, £18-£20 for national Deeps.

20 lots of bees, first 4 went cheap as they had chalk brood £60-£100 the rest from £150-£200.

picked up a few steels as Veg didn't turn up, good day even though it did shower a lot.

you are lucky I couldnt make it bee crazy you know i like the shiney stuff

Went to the Teifiside BKA auction (a bit closer for me) I would say a roomful of bargains (apart from the bees which were a bit over the price) bought a complete WBC six lifts four supers and a brood box with OMF floor - the only bit that will need (minimal), attention. Cousin's wife (they turned up as well) bought one with four lifts but missing a floor, for garden ornaments more than a working hive (but you never know) , sum total for both ? fifty quid! The hives were the first lots so unfortunately (or maybe not so!) there wasn't much room for anything else in the jeep as I ended taking both of them home. Lilian got a coup[le of decent National hives as well so their car was packed. Cedar Ashforth feeders a fiver each! Enjoyable day was had by all I think

I also made it to the teifiside and had a good time, really nice cake and one or two bargains. All indoors so no weather issues.
I dont know what Jenkins looks like or I would have said shwdmae :)

I also made it to the teifiside and had a good time, really nice cake and one or two bargains. All indoors so no weather issues.
I dont know what Jenkins looks like or I would have said shwdmae :)

didn't realise you were going - and don't know what you look like!
I was the one in a light moleskin shirt glasses and beard - spent most of my time going aropund with a short(ish) lady with blonde curly hair - of the two, i was the one with the waxed moustaches (she wears hers shortly trimmed:D)

Did'nt let the weather spoil the day, nice to meet old and new friends, looking for that elusive bargain, or just seeing the price of their Bee's keep going on up, and up.
Top price for a colony of Bees for the day £220....

Regards Dave.

Bees very expensive I thought, even with the recent losses everyone has had

but some real bargains in the equipment line of things, some ridiculously so, guess the weather drove prices down a bit, got soaked a few times but did pick up a 4 frame extractor for 20 so can't complain too much.Poly mating nucs at the end were going for a song - £9 for 3!!!

And the bacon & brie baps were fab!

Latest posts

Back