BDI insurance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
Has anyone taken the over 50 colonies cover out ?
I’m currently looking at my options
Cheers

Has anyone taken the over 50 colonies cover out ?
I’m currently looking at my options
Cheers
Is it BDI you are after or PLI?
I have never considered BDI worth having if you have that sort of quantity as you should be able to replace any affected colonies reasonably cheaply.

I was wondering if there’s a cheaper option really.

BBKA only cover 40 colonies iirc.

Doesn’t say how much. For over 50 . I would need to message them with my total amount I suspect.

I lost 5 colonies to EFB in Sept 22 and as it was so late in season after destroying colonies I was left struggling to re-establish last season.
BDI doesn't cover bees, honey, wax foundation or the time to make up new frames.

Last edited:
I was wondering if there’s a cheaper option really.
I didn’t find a cheaper option when I was looking for the same thing.
I joined the BFA and saved a significant lump of the membership on my first pallet of jars.
I lost 5 colonies to EFB in Sept 22 and as it was so late in season after destroying colonies I was left struggling to re-establish last season.
BDI doesn't cover bees, honey, wax foundation or the time to make up new frames.
I would have thought a claim would be for “made up frames”

I didn’t find a cheaper option when I was looking for the same thing.
I joined the BFA and saved a significant lump of the membership on my first pallet of jars.

I would have thought a claim would be for “made up frames”
Thank you for reply.
Made up frames is not covered on their policy doc. Worth checking on line. They pay set amounts and reduce for condition.
I think the BFA is best bet once I have reestablished numbers.

Thank you for all your replies to my question. I agree it looks like the BFA is the best option.
Cheers

I Have used BDI for several years. If you tell them the number of hives they will give you a quote.
They have a no claims scheme and this year I paid less than £1 per hive.
Thank you Brian for your interest in this.
It is when you have a claim that you find out exactly how good the policy is and this is where I found it lacking.
The time of year when outbreak discovered plays a huge part in how you can recover. If in Spring / Summer then I could have made up some more colonies from the surviving hives. But in Autumn I couldn't do this.

Latest posts

Back