BBKA Magazine

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight sun

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
As there have been several comments of a slightly derogatory nature when referring to the above publication, might I suggest an additional section that may 'spruce' up the afore mentioned item, entitled, 'Readers Hives'.
You know what I mean gentlemen of a certain age. (LOL)....and I apologise ladies!
It's Halloween tomorrow and I get over excited!:sorry:

As there have been several comments of a slightly derogatory nature when referring to the above publication, might I suggest an additional section that may 'spruce' up the afore mentioned item, entitled, 'Readers Hives'.
You know what I mean gentlemen of a certain age. (LOL)....and I apologise ladies!

I threw it in the bin when I read the article about WBC hives "....put mesh over the holes in the crownboard to aid ventilation....."

Perhaps they should then rename it PLAYBEE

I threw it in the bin when I read the article about WBC hives "....put mesh over the holes in the crownboard to aid ventilation....."

That was a particularly poor article, I thought.

Amongst other things, we were told how wonderful WBC hives are - then told how they needed several modifications because they're crap!
The cost, the floor, the stand, frame holders, oblong shape of the equipment, the design of the supers, were all criticised - by a supporter of the WBC!

The main thrust of the article seemed to be, "I've no evidence for what I'm writing, it's purely my prejudice, they look pretty, I like beekeeping - but there are many inconvenient features of this hive that you have to live with or make adaptations - and nobody loves us WBC hive keepers because they write about Nationals".

On the other hand, I guess I've never offered an article to our beekeeping parish magazine.

Dusty.

P.s. My apologies if the writer is a Forum member!

Last edited:
Look out for my article on the young beekeepers :)

Its near the back

M

That was a particularly poor article, I thought.

Amongst other things, we were told how wonderful WBC hives are - then told how they needed several modifications because they're crap!
The cost, the floor, the stand, frame holders, oblong shape of the equipment, the design of the supers, were all criticised - by a supporter of the WBC!

The main thrust of the article seemed to be, "I've no evidence for what I'm writing, it's purely my prejudice, they look pretty, I like beekeeping - but there are many inconvenient features of this hive that you have to live with or make adaptations - and nobody loves us WBC hive keepers because they write about Nationals".

On the other hand, I guess I've never offered an article to our beekeeping parish magazine.

Dusty.

P.s. My apologies if the writer is a Forum member!

I could not agree with you more the WBC is an abortion, I toiled with the idea of getting one myself last year until I inspected the association WBC hive, no wonder it was modified/superseded.

I have actually worked the Association WBC hive, The insulation argument seems to me the only one that has any logical reasoning behind it - and poly hives have better insulation, are cheaper and easier to work.

I took the article to be written entirely tongue in cheek, showing how unsuited the WBC was to modern beekeeping. If so, it succeeded brilliantly and the writer is to be congratulated in showing it up as unsuitable whilst not offending those who think a WBC is cutting edge technology...which it was in 1990 err...sorry 1890... when it was invented.

I think I may proffer an article claiming that TBHs are the answer to all beekeeping ills, includng varroa and the Small Hive Beetle..

And at the same time claim their honey gives the user eternal life if they site it on a leyline..

But I will not mention matchsticks...

I have 4 WBC all homemade. The first 2 were to the plans supplied by BBKA and have done 6 years good service. The big bugbear is having to have different sized equipment. By modifying the size slightly I have made 2 new ones to take national spec equipment. The stand has a normal removable OMF and the internal boxes are 14X12 brood and national supers.
Before you start condemning me as an old fool: the bees, in my experience do much better in them.
They look good
I have extra lifts and store some bits of spare equipment above the crown board in the out apiary.
I get regularly the best honey crop from the bees in the WBC and I am considering creating some new lifts , modified stand etc to provide extra protection for some hives in an exposed apiary position.
I must add, however, I thought the article was of poor quality. The writer seemed to lack a certain style to get his enthusiasm across as a well developed argument.

I think I may proffer an article claiming that TBHs are the answer to all beekeeping ills, includng varroa and the Small Hive Beetle..

And at the same time claim their honey gives the user eternal life if they site it on a leyline..

But I will not mention matchsticks...

Matchsticks stir the wrath of the Wizard of PIR. :)

WBCs have some advantages -insulation (can easily fill the gap for winter) and aethsetics and use the same frames as Nationals.

Apart from that the few advantages are limited. Anyone supplying plans these days should take into account the likely need to fit National boxes, so any other plans are rubbish, IMO.

Fairly typical of the magazine, I would say. Written by dinosaurs rather than progressives and unfortunately read and believed by many - taken as reliable information by many, when really the articles are of poor quality, unbalanced and decidedly old-hat.

Written by dinosaurs rather than progressives and unfortunately read and believed by many - taken as reliable ....

... probably taken by some as reliable evidence that their matchsticks and extra ventilation holes continue to be the right way to do things.

That said, I do like WBCs apart from them being too close to the ground. I much prefer a taller hive stand which helps prevent beekeeper's back.

apart from them being too close to the ground.

Fairly simple to remedy. Longer legs or place them with another stand below? Two metre tall WBCs? Sensible to use the lighter construction boxes and keep them at ten frame supers, if there is a history of back problems!

To me in the right environment at the bottom of a well kept garden there is few things more beautiful and pleasing to the eye than a WBC hive. Had one once and looked after it for four years in a friends garden it was just wonderful sitting with a cup of tea after inspections watching the bees. Don't have the hive any more and miss it so thinking I may build one for myself this next year.

And surely prioritising the aesthetic is the sole valid justification for the thing's survival?

A properly Tudorbethan hive would have the lifts concealing poly boxes.
Wasn't someone building a 'WBC' with the lifts made from uPVC extrusions?

They'll only propolise it anyway!

WBCs have some advantages -insulation (can easily fill the gap for winter) and aethsetics and use the same frames as Nationals.

Apart from that the few advantages are limited. Anyone supplying plans these days should take into account the likely need to fit National boxes, so any other plans are rubbish, IMO.

Fairly typical of the magazine, I would say. Written by dinosaurs rather than progressives and unfortunately read and believed by many - taken as reliable information by many, when really the articles are of poor quality, unbalanced and decidedly old-hat.

But apart from that, it's not a bad read then? LOL:biggrinjester:

Back