BBKA insurance and colony loss?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseCottage

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
From 5 to 2 and hopefully a better year
Just a quick question ...if they die in their first winter with me, do I have any cover through the insurance with my association/BBKA membership?
Sam

I was under the impression that the BBKA/BDI insurance only covers you for public liability and loss through notifiable disease (EFB, AFB etc)

Sam. No.

PL insurance and token compensation for statutorily destroyed colonies due to notifiable bee disease.

As far as I am aware the BDI insurance cover will only pay out if the colony is suffering from disease which is confirmed by an inspector and under his instructions the remaining colony has to be killed and the hive and associated equipment has to be burnt.

If you look at the b b k a website click on the tab "About us" then the second tab Insurance cover for more info.

Thanks for the clarification, I thought as much otherwise I would have heard more about it.

Rab suggested uniting the girls a few weeks ago and I the optimist decided to let them run on. I have learnt a valuable lesson.and know a little more of what a struggling colony behaves like.

When my other surviving colony gets a little stronger I am going to place them on rape in the next 2 weeks.

Sam

Latest posts

Back