BBKA Book list

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveJ

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I took a BBKA module back in march. Unfortunately failed it, but I asked for the report which dually came back and basically said I need to put in more detail. Which is fair enough, but the report then went on to quote pages from books that aren't on the BBKA book list.

Two of the books quoted are not on the BBKA book list and one them costs a minimum of £195 second hand which is outside the means of the average Beekeeper.

So I was wonder if anyone had any experience of similar problems when taking the module exams and does any else think that the reports should only reference the books on the BBKA book list.

SteveJ

Which module and which book was quoted? I'm sure the detailed information required can be found in several other sources. Unfortunately many candidates stilll quote chapter and verse from Yates which does contain outdated information or is simply wrong on some things. You should also be using internet sources to gain some of your information. The booklist is not inclusive and is only a guide to your reading

I took a BBKA module back in march. Unfortunately failed it, but I asked for the report which dually came back and basically said I need to put in more detail. Which is fair enough, but the report then went on to quote pages from books that aren't on the BBKA book list.

Two of the books quoted are not on the BBKA book list and one them costs a minimum of £195 second hand which is outside the means of the average Beekeeper.

So I was wonder if anyone had any experience of similar problems when taking the module exams and does any else think that the reports should only reference the books on the BBKA book list.

SteveJ
Soory to hear you failed, I failed Module 1 last year and was a bit surprised. I had used Haynes entirely for revision.
I didn't ask for a breakdown as I resented paying the £30 requested. Felt a bit humbug too.
Anyway I had no winter losses and the bees have flourished this year and I managed to prevent swarming and there is lots of honey!
I did benefit from all the reading but won't be taking any more modules.

I'd appeal - which Module was it?

It was module 6.

I happen to have all the recommended books for module 6. I'm a bit of a book collector.

If I where to buy all the books for module 6 alone it would cost £500 from Amazon. I found them by scowering second hand book shops and eBay, but to then be quoted another book that costs nearly £200 it makes the modules a very expensive hobby.

Of the recommended books that you can easily get hold of they total nearly £2500

SteveJ

You can have all the bee books in the world, it's neuroxing their contents so you can regurgitate the relevant facts in a 90 minute exam set by assholes who are out to fail students by wording questions in such obtuse ways it can be hard to understand what facts they are asking for.
Not an easy task, but it does take you down learning avenues that you might not ever have gone without their syllabus. It certainly gave me a great appreciation of the whole subject.
But non of it is necessary to be a good beekeeper, as beekeeping tends to be more of a practical ability.

Which section they said you failed I hope it wasnt

6.18 the colony in winter and summer with special reference to ventilation, humidity and temperature control (homeostasis);

and the heresy I have hoped to spread

the book reference The Hive and the Honeybee (1992) J. Graham (Ed.) Dadant & Son certainly contains curious statements on what happens in heat transfer

Last edited:
I think the theory exams should be taken for interest really, not to improve beekeeping skills (although you may understand more clearly why you are doing something)
They are not good educationally, relying too much on rote learning and as other posters have written the examiners hold some old and controversial beliefs. The questions are vague and really can be ambiguous. And the examiners are only human and tend to avoid the bits of the syllabus where it is difficult to write clear questions. However if you have read around the subject you should get a pass if you can write quickly. Getting more than that may be subject to the vagaries of the process, syllabus, examiner and question setter.
The whole process will however add to your knowledge(even if only highlighting what is boll*cks) and add even more interest to your beekeeping.

SteveJ did you do the correspondence course for module 6? Most people find them useful and statistically are more likely to pass as the tutors will have ironed out a few misconceptions and led you to the level of understanding required. Can I ask again which are the expensive books mentioned to you in the report and the topic areas they covered. I find that Winstons book and books by Seeley cover most of the topic areas of module 6.

I have set quite a few BK module papers over the years and can assure Beefriendly that BBKA examiners do want people to pass but there is a standard to reach and candidates must show a certain level of understanding not just a good rote memory to demonstrate that they have reached it. I do not go out of my way to set obtuse questions but I suppose if you don't fully understand the topic area you probably won't fully understand the question asked and so might consider it obtuse. As regards assholes I suppose it takes one to know one but why does Beefriendlly feel the need be abusive (very unfriendly) about experienced and knowledgeable beekeepers (all masterbeekeepers and some with NDB) who give up their time to set and mark these exams for little reward.

Last edited:
Soory to hear you failed, I failed Module 1 last year and was a bit surprised. I had used Haynes entirely for revision.

Module 1 has a high failure rate. I got 64% - took it the same time as module 2 which I got a distinction in.

I have been tempted to take it again to improve the mark.

I do know two people who have failed it locally. Both I think got about 56%

why does Beefriendlly feel the need be abusive (very unfriendly) about experienced and knowledgeable beekeepers (all masterbeekeepers and some with NDB) who give up their time to set and mark these exams for little reward.

In a past life I set, marked and taught BSc, MSc examinations and Assessed PhD students. So I have some understanding of what it like to take exams and the pressures students are under taking them. It's why I felt (and you have just confirmed this) that they are set by non professionals.
I'm sure you are all doing your best, but alas the ambiguity (at times) is not helping the candidates.
Also look at consistency, the final essay question has invariably been a choice from two topics off the syllabus. Interestingly last March's Module 8's choice was history or history. History before the removable frame or afterwards. No choice really.

Apologies if I you think I'm being rude....perhaps assholes was a little strong :)

In a past life I set, marked and taught BSc, MSc examinations and Assessed PhD students. So I have some understanding of what it like to take exams and the pressures students are under taking them. It's why I felt (and you have just confirmed this) that they are set by non professionals.
I'm sure you are all doing your best, but alas the ambiguity (at times) is not helping the candidates.
Also look at consistency, the final essay question has invariably been a choice from two topics off the syllabus. Interestingly last March's Module 8's choice was history or history. History before the removable frame or afterwards. No choice really.

Apologies if I you think I'm being rude....perhaps assholes was a little strong :)

Personally and hopefully anyone who knows you knows quite well you are not being rude, you have spoke your mind from experience (not books) as such and that will do for me.
If i took any of them module money making scams i would probably fail through my attitude towards any miserable or pompass examiners, trying to tell me to do something wrong out of a book.
But hey ho speak to and treat anyone as you would expect to be spoken to and so on, it is not rocket science after all just a bit harder..:spy:

But I do have an eclectic interest,

a Flea-bay account

& a small Library that I'd like to grow!

:hat:

SteveJ

But you've got a detailed list of topics to research in each module. How you gain your knowledge to cover those topics is up to you. It does not matter what books you use.

Also Sorry for going on, i spoke to a elderly lady many moons ago who had mentored people and apparently she was the chairwomen of this establishment of what ever, i went to her garden one day and i was told to be quiet as the bees may attack me(no activity around the hive) December i think, anyway on my next visit during mid spring she showed me a small swarm in her apple tree, she had two hives colonies both on a single brood box.
She sure talked the talk with the naive and maybe walked the talk with members money..:spy:

Give me the quiz module or whatever and pay me to take it, i will be honest with my result, just out of curiosity though how many commercial bee keepers have took any test... but still making a living from bees.
The idea ( I think) behind the BBKA modules is to educated beyond the basics of beekeeping. Won't necessarily make you a better beekeeper but it it may help you understand more about our shared obsession. It can be fun, but can also be hard work.
For me it led me down the history of beekeeping and hive development. No real practical use but fascinating for my own interest.

Could you offer your skills in some way?

my view is that the papers should at least be looked at by an educational establishment such as Harper Adam University college or Pershore or Bicton. However the exam structure should rather than being stand alone be linked in with national education qualifications rated at level 3 &4 etc with the NDB being level 5 or 6,, but that would inevitabley put the price of examination sky high

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back