Bananas for chalk brood?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Similar experience of reduced chalk brood but with open OMF but also with insulation above the Crown board

Chalk brood goes away by itself during summer. That is why beeks believe what ever. And stuff sellers sell what ever succesfully.

Finman : my chalk brood went away several years ago and haven't seen it since in my colonies. I especially look out for it as I need examples of chalk brood to show beginner beekeeping students so now need to beg chalk brood mummies off others.

The role of CO2 in chalk brood spore activation was discovered way back in 1987

Journal of Apicultural Research Vol. 26 (4) pp. 243-246 December 1987

Carbon dioxide activation of spores of the chalkbrood fungus Ascosphaera apis

L. A. F. Heath And Barbara M. Gaze

Abstract : Carbon dioxide has been shown to be important for the activation of spores of A. apis. About half the spores under test were activated at less than 5% CO2 in air, while at 12.5% CO2 virtually all spores were activated. Ten minutes' exposure to 10% CO2 in air was sufficient to initiate activation. Larval respiration produces CO2, and thus larvae must initiate the activation of spores with which they come into contact.

Last edited:
A chap was in an old fashioned train compartment with a massive bunch of bananas. Every few minutes he broke one off and threw it out the window. The elderly lady opposite asked why he was throwing bananas. "To keep the elephants away" he replied. "But there are no elephants in England" she said. "Yes" he said, "works well doesn't it?"

Should you record bananas on the Veterinary Records? Give the RBI a laugh.

Yes not peaches, but only cos they're best eaten on their own.

Peaches should only be eaten fresh from a tin with perhaps a good slathering of ideal milk. Theo only time I have eaten and enjoyed a peach was fresh from the tree in Lesotho - they are totally different from the sh!t you get in shops in this country

Peaches should only be eaten fresh from a tin with perhaps a good slathering of ideal milk. Theo only time I have eaten and enjoyed a peach was fresh from the tree in Lesotho - they are totally different from the sh!t you get in shops in this country

Don't have to go to Lesotho, in Europe are also peaches.. Soon will come our " semi wild" grown from a seed ( we call it vineyard peach). These are more fleshy, less juicy ( if I depict it right).
Earlier cultivated sorts grow bigger, sometimes peach come near a kilo ( my T-shirts were ruined when eaten these jumbo straight from a tree..).

Once I was in France, and frankly was disappointted with fruit and vegetables even at street markets. Old, tasteless.. Only I admitt potatoes were nice ones..

To be in tone.. Over here still no one mentioned to use bananas against chalk brood.

Last edited:
Can you still get ideal milk?

Shakey?

Finman : my chalk brood went away several years ago and haven't seen it since in my colonies. I especially look out for it as I need examples of chalk brood to show beginner beekeeping students so now need to beg chalk brood mummies off others.

The role of CO2 in chalk brood spore activation was discovered way back in 1987

Journal of Apicultural Research Vol. 26 (4) pp. 243-246 December 1987

Carbon dioxide activation of spores of the chalkbrood fungus Ascosphaera apis

L. A. F. Heath And Barbara M. Gaze

Abstract : Carbon dioxide has been shown to be important for the activation of spores of A. apis. About half the spores under test were activated at less than 5% CO2 in air, while at 12.5% CO2 virtually all spores were activated. Ten minutes' exposure to 10% CO2 in air was sufficient to initiate activation. Larval respiration produces CO2, and thus larvae must initiate the activation of spores with which they come into contact.
see :
Effect of temperature and humidity of sealed brood on chalkbrood development
under controlled conditions, Flores et Al (1996) Apidologie 27 ,185-192

i breeded my chalk brood away with strong selection,and I bought new queens that I can get resistant genes. IT took about 4 years to breed it away.
To know carbon diokdide function gelps nothing.

And I thought you had a science background! It may explain why the ventilation provided by OMF's seems to reduce the incidence of chalk brood. I too breed unwanted traits out but as you said it can take years. In the meantime ......

Thank you derekm for reference (which I was already well aware of ).

Obvously like many things chalk brood spore activation , brood susceptibility to chalk brood and the degree of mummification is multifactorial. This is why not only do I use OMF's but also select for resistance and insulate the space above the crown board with celotex (although the latter was originally introduced in my hives to save money on winter feed)

And I thought you had a science background! It may explain why the ventilation provided by OMF's seems to reduce the incidence of chalk brood. I too breed unwanted traits out but as you said it can take years. In the meantime ......

IT takes what it takes. IT depends, how soon you get new genes. I got them from Italy.

But there is no disease what mesh floor has healed.

I did not need scientific background. Only skill to read English reports of diseases and they were university reports.

Chalkbrood discussion is full of rubbish.

Latest posts

Back