Balsam.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Ely said someone educated, rather than someone in Government :winner1st:

I seem to remember the past Government ignoring medical evidence and reclassifying cannabis as a class B drug rather than Class C..

So anyone who thinks a lack of scientific evidence is going to stop a Government doing what it wants to do is deluded.

See Iraq and WMD as another case in point..

I seem to remember the past Government ignoring medical evidence and reclassifying cannabis as a class B drug rather than Class C..

So anyone who thinks a lack of scientific evidence is going to stop a Government doing what it wants to do is deluded.

See Iraq and WMD as another case in point..

Exactly...

Just be careful - £5000 fine +/- up to two years in prison for causing a non-native species to grow in the wild. Just for a few more jars of honey?

Can't say I've noticed native species struggling and I've not seen much erosion either. Yes we could have a major Balsam bashing program, how much would that cost? Local authorities can't even manage Ragwort, looks like they've given up on that.
The idea of introducing something to control something else absolutely fills me with dread and I echo Mark's thoughts on that 'gem'.
Anyone see Countryfile? Adam was showing us how wild flowers had grown amongst his OSR and explaining that it will cause a problem for him when harvesting next year due to seeding.

I suppose we could eradicate everything that ain't monoculture.

Just be careful - £5000 fine +/- up to two years in prison for causing a non-native species to grow in the wild. Just for a few more jars of honey?

You'd have a job proving it when there are millions of plants in the wild already.

You'd have a job proving it when there are millions of plants in the wild already.

I wouldn't particularly want to prove it myself, just making people aware.

The fact remains that invasive species, intensive farming, pesticides, climate change, hedgerow grubbing, government changes to planning regs - the list is endless - all make a difference to the biodiversity of the countryside, and our bees are part of that.

Anyway, I'm off to the pub.

Local councils are pulling it up,as for knotweed which costs money to get rid of they not touching it, for me it's not ££for honey but with out the balsam
A lot of colonies would not survive winter,so hip hip hip hooray for h.balsam. Long may she spread.

I have just had an email to say the bees in my area have started to work the balsam. Better get some more supers on

Ghost bees today - first time for some 3 weeks.

Mine have just started on the balsam yesterday. It's been in flower here for over a week.

Back